My customer purchased and paid then filed a fraud case for chargeback

Hi there, I had a customer buy from me through ebay and she paid by paypal. The item was posted through ebay`s postage label system and was then tracked and delivered. All of these things are clearly documented in the system. However this customer then disputed the purchase through her credit card and Paypal just informed me that the funds are now settled in the buyers favour.

My question is what can I do? The buyer is just making it up that the purchase was done fraudulently and I cant understand how I wasnt even asked for proof. Im really upset and it seems crazy when there is a proper trail to show the item was delivered and ordered through ebay. 

Thanks in advance Sharon

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: My customer purchased and paid then filed a fraud case for chargeback

Same with me. 

Each email i sent to Paypal from discussions with the buyer, they just sent a generic email back stating I need to provide this proof, that proof and the other proof. They also wanted a copy of the postage label with the buyer's address, bit stupid considering the parcel was already sent and delivered. I asked eBay if I could get a copy of the label....of course the answer was no. 

So I did the next best thing, contacted Aust Post and asked them to confirm delivery in writing, despite me sending the eBay tracking screenshots. They actually confirmed delivery, the delivery address and time of delivery. I then forwarded that email to Paypal then rang them to confirm they received it.

all in all after about 10 phone calls, the last rep I spoke to released the funds even though PayPal are still fighting the Chargeback.

from now on, I keep PDFs of shipping labels. More time wasting but it will help for any future fraudulent Chargebacks.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

I think too, that because tracking is no longer displayed on AP's site (as was the case with my dispute), some after 30 days and others up to 60 days, this is where the fraudulent buyers attack.

even though you provide tracking to PayPal. After 60 days it won't show but there are ways around it if you request the details from Australia Post. 

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Whilst tracking info life is limited on the public website its held indefinitely by Australia Post internally.

You have to call them to get a letter/email confirming delivery.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@justkidzbiz wrote:

from now on, I keep PDFs of shipping labels. More time wasting but it will help for any future fraudulent Chargebacks.

I do that too (save the PDF), but thought I'd also add that the 'Postage label created' email from eBay includes the address on the label, so I keep those as well (I don't use eBay labels much, but if I ever lose my files somehow, the email can act as a backup - the full address details are also kept on the My Post business website, along with the tracking status, so I have two ways to provide supporting documentation). 

The PDF, or other documentation, along with a lodgement receipt, should be all you need for most chargebacks. The labels through My Post don't show if SOD has been added unfortunately (required for $750+ orders), but it does show in the order history. 

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply