My customer purchased and paid then filed a fraud case for chargeback

Hi there, I had a customer buy from me through ebay and she paid by paypal. The item was posted through ebay`s postage label system and was then tracked and delivered. All of these things are clearly documented in the system. However this customer then disputed the purchase through her credit card and Paypal just informed me that the funds are now settled in the buyers favour.

My question is what can I do? The buyer is just making it up that the purchase was done fraudulently and I cant understand how I wasnt even asked for proof. Im really upset and it seems crazy when there is a proper trail to show the item was delivered and ordered through ebay. 

Thanks in advance Sharon

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

how long ago?

have they left feedback?
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Sharon, how do you now it was done fraudulently and her account wasn't hacked ?

Because filing a fraud chargeback she is saying that someone has used her credit card without her knowing.

If that is the case you should both have protection.

Call PayPal and tell them you have online proof of delivery via tracking.

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Did you respond to the Paypal dispute by uploading the tracking? If you did and they found against you anyway, go to para 3.

Appeal the case, and UPLOAD the tracking to the dispute. If it shows as delivered to the buyer's address, you should be covered by Paypal's seller protection.

You might need to RING Paypal and  convince them to adhere to their own rules, but you should get your money back.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Yes... You definitely need to have uploaded the tracking information onto the actual PayPal case to be eligible for protection against such charge back cases. Just having it loaded onto the eBay order only is not sufficient.
You also need to be able to show that the tracking status shows delivered to the suburb/town of the buyer as given in the original payment transaction.
It seems you must have missed one of these to lose the case.
If you have not missed either of them then call PayPal to appeal their decision. If they refuse to rescind their decision then you may need to resort to an official complaint to the financial ombudsman service (FOS).
Present your evidence to them and you should get a good outcome.
If you used eBay labels to send your parcel then the tracking should be all good. It sounds to me like you have not uploaded the tracking info onto the case.
Good luck with it.
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I'm going through the exact same thing at the moment. Buyer filed Unauthorised Transaction Chargeback so Paypal have put a hold on the funds.

You should have received an email from PayPal advising that the Chargeback was initiated. From there PayPal will have requested Proof of Delivery or Proof of postage which will need to have been uploaded within (I think) 7 days from receiving the email.

After phone conversations with Paypal, they advised that Paypal Seller Protection protects you against Chargebacks if you have followed Paypal's request for proof of postage etc. So if you followed the procedures and provided all necessary evidence you would have been covered even if the Chargeback was found in favour of the buyer.

In my case, I opened the sold item via My eBay and clicked on Order details and then "show additional information", this will give you the tracking details, screen shot it, and then upload to PayPal.

i sent PayPal, the original Purchase Order, Tracking details, feedback left by the buyer. I also contacted the buyer asking why she initiated the Chargeback. At first, she was more than "happy" to help solve this as she claimed she did not "know" the Chargeback was initiated. After some reading up on Chargebacks,(this was my first Chargeback) I discovered this was total rubbish. Firstly, the bank don't initiate Chargebacks without the cardholder requesting it and secondly the bank emails the cardholder documentation which needs to be signed and returned before they initiate it. So basically this buyer was lying. 

I gave her the Paรฟpal case ID and PayPal email address for the case and she "claimed" she contacted PayPal. Again, lies, PayPal have not received a single email from her.

She then claimed she contacted Westpac and told them to cancel the Chargeback. She told me Westpac said they cannot cancel it as it was in relation to a stolen credit card and will take 60 days to investigate. (She claimed the card was stolen shortly after purchasing my item). Again more lies, I rang Westpac Chargebacks dept and they told me all she has to do is ring or email them to request the cancellation and it will be cancelled within 5 business days. Again more lies from this buyer.

So I emailed her again and gave her the number Westpac gave me to call, well what do you know.......she replies with "I'm sorry, I'm out of the country in a remote area until mid August".  More lies! Funny she can email me but not Westpac!!!

As such, I have also forwarded all email conversations with her including her acknowledgment that she received the item and was very happy with it.

All in all, PayPal told me I will get my money back, however it will take up to 90 days, but could be earlier depending on how they look at the evidence I have provided.

what I have seen from researching Chargebacks is that, as an example, the Mrs makes a purchase using husband's credit card, then they file a Chargeback and can quite easily win because the card is in the husband's name. The rules with Chargebacks is apparently the proof of delivery details MUST match that of the cardholder.

All that aside, make sure you phone PayPal and request an appeal and upload all documentation you can including feedback if the buyer left it.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Hi and thanks for your response. Paypal emailed me that they will handle the dispute and for me to leave it to them. Everything went through eBay, paypal, eBay labels, tracking, credit card and using the customer`s actual official details. In fact there was no way it could have been fraud. The information overwhelmingly proves that this was all documented on file.

What upsets me is that (both Ebay and) PP both failed to tell the bank that this was impossible for it to be fraud. Instead the customer gets away with no consequences.

Eventually I received my money back but only because the guy I was talking to used his discretion. I didnt recieve my money back because I had proof etc and it took many hours and ringing on different days to achieve this.
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

All the necessary information was there clear as day. PP just didnt bother to access it or look at it. I was inforned to not do anything as they would handle it.

Unfortunately the hours of time needed to get a result plus the many people working for PP giving me wrong info to deal with eBay not them has been really disappointing. It was obvious that there is no safeguards in place to stop any customer doing this unchallenged. I just hope other buyers dont tap into this loophole.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I was told by PP that I need not do anything as they were handling it. All of my tracking details were there clearly with PP. I had to ring 3 times and only because I was very angry and fed up did it go anywhere. The proof of purchase and delivery were there in black and white. I think its very scary that I wasnt given a chance to give my evidence. PP did not bother to pass the details on
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Oh dear I can see that even if the evidence is in the sellers favour the amount of time and effort and `begging` needed to sort the mess out can make a seller just leave it in the too hard basket. It seems like its just too easy for a buyer to claim some type of fraud was involved. I`m not saying that the situation wont be resolved (eventually) but its an up hill battle to jump through the hoops necesary to get resolution.

In my case the customer did not respond to my emails so I never got an explaination. In my customer`s case I had done everything through the ebay and pp system. Hopefuly these events are rare but I cant help but wonder why PP wouldnt see fit to hand the trackiong details over to the customers bank because they were privy to all the details. 

Ebay was great in understanding the issue whereas PP were quite strange in their logic and could not give me an answer as to why they didnt advocate for me seeing as they had all the evidence needed to prove the item was correctly delivered. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share this and noone could explain why the buyer was given a free pass on this. Moving forward now.....fingers crossed haha 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply