My second chargeback case also failed

I am furious.

My first chargeback case, for a face cream bought back in November, was found in the buyer's favour because I had no proof of postage due to the item being small. The buyer said it was an unauthorised transaction, which I believe is complete **bleep**, he left positive feedback the following week and the dispute was that he didn't authorise it, not that he didn't receive it, but since I couldn't prove postage, as per Paypal's rules, it was my loss, and lesson learned.

So my second chargeback which came a week after the previous one, was a digital download Xbox game code. The buyer purchased, paid and sent a message in poor English asking me to send the code to his email address or via ebay. I responded, sending it to both.

This chargeback is also, in my opinion, a scam as the guy lives in Europe, wants the chargeback paid in Euros, and his name and email address are the same that he used back in December when he purchased the code and requested I send it.

So this time I had all the proof. All the ebay messages from him and myself, the email, all showing he had possession of the download code this whole time and that he got what he paid for.

And yet...Paypal still refunded him and charged me, including the $15 fee. Again. WHY!?

They said my proof of shipping could not be verified. BY WHOM!? I SENT THE CODE. THAT'S THE ITEM.

What!?!?!?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

PayPal does not have seller protection for digital goods (game codes, vouchers etc). So if a buyer claims a charge back, you lose out on the code and the money plus the penalty fee.

You can show them as many screenshots and proof that you sent it, but it won't help.

You'd be better off sending a registered letter to the buyer with the code in it and add the tracking information on eBay to avoid this happening

Unfortunately the first charge back and now the second are both the most common scams new sellers fall to. Now you know 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

@stick.it.good wrote:

PayPal does not have seller protection for digital goods (game codes, vouchers etc). So if a buyer claims a charge back, you lose out on the code and the money plus the penalty fee.

Actually they do offer it on intangible goods and services now.

I would be on the phone to PayPal about this one, because it sounds to me like you can establish delivery.

Here is the info from PayPal re: Seller Protection in so far as intangible goods are concerned.

Eligibility requirements: 

For eligible intangible items, unless we otherwise agree with you, you paid us the Standard Transaction Fee for accepting the original payment.

Proof of delivery:

Youโ€™ll need to provide compelling evidence that the item was delivered or the service was fulfilled. Compelling evidence is any evidence available to prove that your customer received the goods or services, or otherwise benefited from the transaction.

Compelling evidence could include a system record showing the date the item was sent and that it was either:

Electronically sent to the recipient; or
Received or accessed by the recipient.

Examples include:

An extract of an online booking system for the issuance of tickets; or
An internal system record showing the deployment or retrieval of a digital item.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#seller-protection

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Well I don't understand. The same link says the following

Ineligible items and transactions
- It involves downloadable or streaming content, or a licence for digital content

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Streaming content would be things like Netflix. Licenses would be temporary access to digital software. A game code may come under that. The protection should be available on anything that technically becomes the buyer's property, like tickets, printable images, ebooks etc.

It's worth noting, though, that PayPals reason for not providing protection wasn't because the transaction was ineligible but because shipping or delivery info wasn't verified. That could have been an automated or arbitrary reason, though.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Well I'll be interested to see the outcome of the OP.

Personally, to me it looks like the protection you've quoted is when companies like tickitek send out digital tickets and they have "An extract of an online booking system for the issuance of tickets"
Nothing in the wording sounds like copies of emails or messages would suffice as proof of receipt.

Should be interesting to see what they say

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I am waiting impatiently to hear back from them. I'll return when I do, HOPEFULLY with good news!
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

kitty-kat-kollection,

Please get on the phone with PayPal. If you're appealing by email or any other method, the outcome will be the same.

You need to phone PayPal with the proofs to hand, ready to point out relevant policy and quote it, as well as knowing where that section of policy is.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Sadly, I don't think you'll get far.

A chargeback is done from the buyer's bank and it seems the banks don't don't care what PayPal say about the case.  I've had a number of chargebacks now and nothing ever changes no matter what I can give PayPal as proof.

They can't even reveal which bank it is so I can chase it up directly with the buyer's bank.

Sometimes, it is actually the bank calling the buyer and saying, "We noticed this unusual transaction, did you know about it?" and the buyer will just agree to it being suspicious so the bank will lodge a dispute and get their money back, and cause a great deal of grief for an innocent seller and not care about it when we contact them asking them to reverse it.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

If the seller has seller protection with paypal the seller will not lose their money.....paypal will foot the bill.  That is why it is important to establish if the seller has paypal seller protection.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply