Need a suggestion on "item not as described"

yum_pc
Community Member

I am selling memory card  and meet a case recently. A buyer opened a dispute on PayPal(I guess) and claiming "item not as described". 

The buyer used left picture to claim the memory card was defective in the same day he received the memory card. I sent him a new and sealed item. From the first picture he sent me, I found there is a coating peel off . In my experience, the coating is hard to peel of after hours of using. So I ask more pictures, 2 hours later the buyer sent me the right picture. It shocked me! The memory card was cut into half. This is the impossible status I sent to him.Capture.PNG

The buyer is now opening a dispute on PayPal and asking me for refunding. Anybody have similar experience on it?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I have never had a similar experience.

My advise, however, is to refund and block the buyer. You are on a hiding to nothing.

For future reference, never send a replacement. eBay's Money Back Guarantee does not factor in replacements. Refund and block is the savvy way.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for replying

If it's a low value item, I am happy to refund, but it's expensive. My bottom line is if the memory card only has coating peel off, the buyer send it back, I will refund. But when the item broken into half, I can't get any help from the manufacture because it's obvious human factor damage

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Self edit

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Can you confirm if it is definitely a Paypal case and not an Ebay case?

Sometimes the buyer has abused the Money Back Guarantee and is not allowed to open any more cases on Ebay.

You can upload your side of the situation and images into the case.

There is another way to go about it - you can ask for the item back (you pay for a shipping label) and if your seller rating is above standard, you are entitled to deduct money from the refund if it is not in the same condition you sent out. Sometimes warning the buyer upfront about this stops them from going any further. 

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for replying. eBay noticed me: xxxxxxx has filed a payment dispute outside of eBay about an order that was placed on 09 Jan, 2022. This means the buyer has disputed a charge directly with their payment provider. 

I refuse the buyer to provide a replacement due to this kind of damage, then he opens a dispute on their payment provider, I think he is very familiar with the step.

I checked the buyer's feedback record and guessing he opened a dispute on PayPal. I've uploaded a evidence to eBay's system but it's super unkind to the buyer because only 1 picture allowed. I have to write the reason on document and capturing a picture then upload it.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

You can make a collage of all the pictures and then take a screenshot which will count as 1 picture.

You can also write in the Paypal case that the buyer has not opened a case in Ebay because you suspect abuse of the MBG system. 

In your message, ask Paypal to check how many times the buyer has opened cases for "Not as Described". If they are a scammer, Paypal will have a record of many cases.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Thank you, I will try tomorrow. This buyer really shock me, maybe I am still a newbie here

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Make sure you put them on your Blocked list!

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

I just saw that the buyer has left you negative feedback, not good. How can the item be whole and in one piece one moment and cut in half the next? It isn't right, this buyer sounds like a scammer, fight it. Good luck.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply