Need advice - Buyer choose local pickup 'by mistake' now wants free postage

Hi all

Never had this before!

Sold an item which will cost about $20 to post. Buyer picked local pickup.

Any advice in what to do given this e-mail?

.......I left pickup locally ticked when clearly you can see that I live in NSW and am unable to pickup. As per the sale contract can you please post the item to me, free of charge. I live at ..... Again, I do apologies for not unticking pickup locally and I thank you in advance for posting the chess set that I have just purchased from you to me. 

I don't want a negative, and I do get mistakes are made. 

Help!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Well I started trawling through 'cancellation' and thought I would get a chance to confirm before it processed. It didn't but I chose cancellation because their was something wrong with the buyer address.

I am guessing that's OK since the sale was based on a local pickup address, which the buyer does not have. Hence the 'something wrong' :0

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

That's what I would have done.

Their choosing 'local pickup' in no way obligates you to take a hit on the postage.

Given they didn't even try to negotiate postage, I hope you have put them on your blocked list.

Edit: 'as per the sale contract' was for pickup, not postage, so I'd love to see what they thought the contract was.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

If they leave you a neg, make sure you contact eBay (by phone) and point out that they 'accidentally' chose pickup and then tried to get the item posted for free.

I suspect they might have form. Nobody accidentally chooses a postage option. It is a deliberate choice.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@astrild wrote:

Sold an item which will cost about $20 to post. Buyer picked local pickup.

Any advice in what to do given this e-mail?

.......I left pickup locally ticked when clearly you can see that I live in NSW and am unable to pickup. As per the sale contract can you please post the item to me, free of charge. I live at ..... Again, I do apologies for not unticking pickup locally and I thank you in advance for posting the chess set that I have just purchased from you to me. 

Yeah.... I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was deliberate. Someone who understood postage has a cost, but accidentally ticked local pick up, would have asked you to invoice them for postage costs, not tried to convince you that postage is now magically free because they accidentally "forgot" to select postage and pay the cost for it.

Full marks for having the gumption to try, I guess. Smiley LOL

Definitely block them, they sound more trouble than they're worth. 

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

Ya if a neg feedback is incoming imma going to get bit dark, mind you knowing how eBay seems to be going I won't be horribly surprised if they won't remove it 😞

I'll give the buyer the benefit intially, and that they were worried I might not have refunded. We will see! My Spidey senses say otherwise but hey.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

They did it on purpose, I'll bet money on it. Chances are they've done it before. What is their feedback left for others like? Do they leave negs?

As mentioned, if they leave a neg, ring eBay and ask them to remove it. Don't reply to it unless you have exhausted all avenues to remove it. If you do end up replying, leave a factual reply, not an emotional one. Screaming things like SCAMMER makes you look bad believe it or not. Plus, no one looking at your feedback knows who this SCAMMER is. Only you can see their ID.

Don't cave into a buyer because of fear of a red dot on a screen. Most buyers can see when another buyer has been a numpty and will still buy if the rest of your feedback is good. If someone negs me because they didn't get their own way and are having a hissy fit, I really don't care. I refuse to let that fear dictate my life.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

They have 30 feedback and have only left one that I can see. They did get in touch with me and thanked me for cancellation, asking to be advised when relisted. 

I am not sure what to do there. Their initial contact was so close after purchase and not a reasonable request :0

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Do as others have already suggested and block them. I wouldn't trust them not to do it again.

If you don't know how to block, the link to your blocked bidder list is here. Add the buyer's ID and submit.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Will do 🙂 

I don't need the stress methinks!

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply