New accounts bidding my shoes up to over $1,000 within the hour - How do I proceed?

My listing is: eBay item number:293572263190

This all happened within the hour of listing the shoes:

The person with (0) feedback messaged me right after bidding asking, "hey, was just curious what you'd sell the shoes for if you've got a price in mind to sell now, cheers"

I replied I chose the auction format because I didn't have a set price in mind.

They then replied, "would you take 750? and was also wondering if you've got any other tns to sell, i see that you're in blaxland which isnt far from myself i can come pickup. "

Then the person with (2) feedback did the same, placed a bid then sent me, "Hey bro what’s the buy it now price for fades ?"

I stopped communication.

Within minutes, they then both started bidding my shoes up, then another person with (5) feedback started bidding, and all 3 of them continued bidding one after the other until it reached $1,025.00 and the person with (0) feedback is now currently the winning bidder.

(5) feedback: Member since: 13-May-19 in Australia
(0) feedback: Member since: 15-Jun-19 in Australia
(2) feedback: Member since: 21-Sep-19 in Australia

My question is, how do I proceed without being scammed? Obviously the current highest bigger with (0) is trying to get me to either sell outside the ebay platform or trying to get me to allow pick up and I refuse to do either because I know of the trick of filing a report after pick up as the seller then doesn't have a receipt to prove they sent it.

Is there any way to restrict new accounts and/or low feedback from bidding on this item and ruining my listing?

I would prefer not to end the listing because I accepted the $0 FVF promo.

I would appreciate a fresh pair of eyes to take a look and advise what I should do?

Thank you for any help.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

New accounts bidding my shoes up to over $1,000 within the hour - How do I proceed?

If you are not in a hurry to sell them then maybe let the auction run and if the winner doesn't pay then open an UIC exactly 4 days after sale date which gives the winner a further 4 days to pay. Close it 4 days later if they don't.

Also let the underbidders know that a case has been opened and can be offered if winner doesn't pay.

And only send with tracking, signature on delivery plus insurance.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Add all of their IDs to your blocked bidder list, and then cancel their bids.

Blocking Buyers

Canceling Bids

If they continue to target your listing, it may be the best thing to end it and relist as a Buy It Now with immediate payment required instead - that means no one can buy unless they pay your list price up front, which most scammers won't do. I know it might mean losing out on some promotional savings, but if they continue to try to sabotage the listing and / or attempt to scam you with multiple accounts and wind up selling to one, you'll likely end up with non-payment anyway. You could also try reporting the accounts to eBay as compromised and / or for malicious interference, if they are related eBay might take action against all asscoiated accounts (kind of a long shot, but still possible). 

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I'm no sneaker head so it's hard for me to gauge whether these are likely legit bids or not - would you expect these to sell for over $1k given size and condition?

The fact that the accounts are all roughly the same age may or may not be suspicious. Could be the same person bidding the price up because they have a similar pair they want to list, or it could be three young guys all keen to add a "vintage" pair of Nikes to their collection.

The messages you received aren't really all that suspicious - legit newer buyers are often oblivious to the risk a seller takes in allowing local pickup, and also that eBay discourages attempts to complete purchases outside of its platform.

No, you can't restrict new accounts/low FB accounts from bidding. You can cancel specific bids from a bidder (e.g. the zero FB bidder), and then "end the auction early and sell to the highest bidder" if you wanted to force the sale to the current second highest bidder, or even let the auction keep running, but you risk giving the appearance of manipulating the auction to a degree which might discourage further bidding from the others (or even cause retractions).

What I would do is get onto eBay's customer service chat (via the help menu), and ask a CS agent to take a look at those three accounts and see if there's any link between them. Explain that given the value of the item you're concerned about bid manipulation & scamming, and the similar age of the accounts has you wondering.

eBay CS agents can't disclose particular details, but will often be happy to confirm something like this, or give a veiled answers as not to break any of their rules. Some will break the rules and tell you outright - I recently had a CS agent tell me the alternative account ID of a shill bidder - but I put that one down to inexperience.

Anyway, you've got a bit of time to work out a course of action - chat with eBay CS, and also see what suggestions others on here come up with.

EDIT: And I see now that while I was typing this reply, digi has also answered you.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Ok, so I just quickly popped my head down the rabbit-hole that is eBay sneaker auctions, and judging by the number of sold items being relisted, and zero or low FB accounts bidding suspiciously, I'm a little more sceptical now about your "three" bidders.

Chat with eBay as I suggested earlier, and see what they're willing to tell you.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I suspect it is the increased $1100 Centrelink payments. It actually now makes sense why almost 3 different people are willing to pay $1000 without a second thought, as the current highest bidder did message me at 2am.

Without the Centrelink $1100 payments I would have expected to see this listing sell for between $600-$800 max.

Thank you both, digital*ghost and tazzieterror for taking the time to assess this situation. I do appreciate it and I have saved the links you provided, digital*ghost.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

If you are not in a hurry to sell them then maybe let the auction run and if the winner doesn't pay then open an UIC exactly 4 days after sale date which gives the winner a further 4 days to pay. Close it 4 days later if they don't.

Also let the underbidders know that a case has been opened and can be offered if winner doesn't pay.

And only send with tracking, signature on delivery plus insurance.

image host
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I completely agree with your approach, kopenhagen5. That is what I had in mind, too. I previously changed the Unpaid Item Assistant Preferences to 4 days and chose the automatic process.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@bluemtnspanther wrote:

I suspect it is the increased $1100 Centrelink payments. It actually now makes sense why almost 3 different people are willing to pay $1000 without a second thought, as the current highest bidder did message me at 2am.

Without the Centrelink $1100 payments I would have expected to see this listing sell for between $600-$800 max.

Thank you both, digital*ghost and tazzieterror for taking the time to assess this situation. I do appreciate it and I have saved the links you provided, digital*ghost.

Almost 3 people? (Couldn't resist).

Honestly, though, an extra $500 per f/night doesn't make lots of people suddenly spend money with reckless abandon and be willing to pay well over current market value for an item. I can't say beyond any reasonable doubt what's going on with your listing / buyers, but I will say proceed with caution. 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

You might be surprised what people are willing to spend on "collectible" sneakers, digi. Or the lengths some will go to to obtain a new pair from a limited release. It's all about copping a drop!

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

many years ago > govt paid $5,000 baby bonus = Flatscreen plasma TV

Nothing surprises me at all.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply