New to Ebay

bella-booteek
Community Member

Hi

Im new to ebay and would like to know why do people just watch your products and not just buy

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

New to Ebay

There can be alot of reasons. Sometimes it's other sellers who have a similar product and want to scope out the sale price for when they sell it.

Other times it's people who may want to buy but are hesitant or waiting until the last minute. It also may be people who like the items and want to come back to them at a later date, so they add it to their Watch List instead of having to remember it in their head.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

One very good reason is if you are browsing and see something you fancy or might buy at some stage it is important to put it on your watch list so you can find it again.

Some people like to compare prices and quality of similar items so might watch as many as they can find until they make up their mind.

A competitor may watch your item to see if it sells and the price range.

Having a number of watchers is a positive sign even if it does not translate to immediate sales.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

Watching is primarily a tool for buyers, and doesn't really have a bearing on sales - at best you can use it as a very rough guide as to how much interest there is in an item, but the nature of that interest can vary greatly and remains undisclosed.

There are a lot of different reasons people put things on their watch list. At this point in time, I have a few hundred items over about half a dozen different lists (each able to contain up to 200 items), that I'm watching. The reasons I watch Buy It Now listings include (but are not limited to):

• I want to buy it, but not just yet for one reason or another, so I watch it for easy access (like a bookmark) when I do purchase

• I have bought it, and plan to continue buying it from a particular seller, so watch it for the same reason as above (easy access).

• I like it, but I'm not sure if I want to buy it. Putting it on my watch list is like a perpetual reminder and I will eventually make up my mind about whether I want to buy it.

I have also, in the past, kept things on my watch list from sellers that I know run sales on items fairly consistently, and will wait until the item is discounted before buying. Sellers will watch items sometimes too, to see if it sells, how often it sells, and/or for how much. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

Looking at your listings, it may be more worthwhile to close your store and not have the monthly fee until you build up to having 100-200 items. Then re-open it.

image host
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

bunny0410
Community Member

At any one time I am watching 20 Bieber Products.

Not mine, miss 13 thinks if she adds enough to my watch list I might eventually buy her something!

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

some people put items on their watch list that they have reported for copyright or trademark violations, and they 'watch' them to see if and when the trademark holders get ebay to remove them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

some people put items on their watch list that they have reported for copyright or trademark violations, and they 'watch' them to see if and when the trademark holders get ebay to remove them.

Thankyou Lyndel for finding a diplomatic way of saying exactly what I was thinking :-x

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

There are many reasons and all of them are already mentioned.

Just a suggestion you need to have more variety of items listed if you want to make your shop worth while keeping.  You need at least 100-150 or more different listings to make paying the $50 a month viable.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

New to Ebay

It depends on what you're selling. There is a seller who has a store but they only list 5-10 items at a time. Each one makes a tidy profit though.

Bella is probably best off following the advice of others though and not having a store yet until she can be confident to make back the $50 a month and more.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply