New to Selling on Ebay- HELP

accessories_n_things86
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been on ebay for a few years now (buying) with a different user ID, i thought i would try selling some items on ebay with a new ID and have been up and running for about a week now- i can't put all my stock on as yet as i am limited to a certain amount of listings per month. My question is i haven't sold ANYTHING yet and am starting to think that maybe this isn't the right thing for me and i should just give up whilst im not ahead 🙂 

I would really appreciate it if someone with some selling experience could help me out and take a look at my listings and let me know what im doing wrong as i don't really know what im doing or how selling on ebay works just yet. Could it be that because i don't have any feedback people are scared to buy off me...or do i just suck at this?

Thanks a lot

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

You are selling items that has a lot of competition.

Buy some items just to give you some feedback and give it some time.

You will get sales in time.

As you can get 30 free listings if you do not have a store maybe close the store and use the free listings till you gain some feedback and or gain power seller status as you then loose the 30 free listings and then reopen your store.

Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

To start with January is always slow; people are away, or they spent all their money at Christmas time. And there are many sales on, and kids need all their stuff to go back to school.  Absolutely the worst time for me. 
Yes, it helps to have bit of FB, but for low value items it is not a major issue.  Although, I would always buy few cheap things before I would start selling.

But mainly you are selling items in very competitive category; there are probably 100s of thousands similar items, and you can get them from China for 99c with free postage.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

As you have a store and paying $50 a month for it use it for why you pay to have it and list ALL your buy now items for 30 days other wise you may as well close the store and list for a max of 10 days for free.

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member

you have the earrings described as

Packaging Includes: 1 x Necklace

other than that.. what the others have said.

use up the free listings offered to new sellers

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

My advice would be to get rid of all those payment and postage instructions and definitely get rid of any mention of feedback

If you feel the need to tell buyers what they should already know, that you want payment in 4 days, then say something like Payment appreciated within 4 days. Never make it sound demanding!

If you are prepared to send things express post then quote for it along with the regular.

Instead of saying you don't sell internationally just quote for Aus and use the block that stops anyone with a delivery address you do not post to from buying/bidding.

You are using what look like stock photos for a lot of your things,not such a good look especially for a new seller.

The 30 free listings a month are there for newbies to have a go without it costing them a lot to list, you pay store fees and the BIN fee for listing in a store regardless of if it sells or not.

It may have been a better idea to start selling on your other id that has some feedback,

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

As suggested, maybe close your store until you have built up a little bit of selling history. Every item sold and every feedback will make opening your eventual store that much more smooth.

Having 0 feedback shouldn't be much of a deterrant as everyone has to start somewhere. Your listsings look legitimate and I can see people buying from you.

The descriptions looks pretty good and professional but maybe just fix the punctuation up in a few places. The last 2 points for Payment are a little negative, so maybe word those a little differently while conveying the same message. Most people do end up paying, so you don't always need to put a message about it.

Pictures look good. You could even register with Auctiva or Photobucket and have pictures embedded into the listing itself, where the description is.

Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

You can't demand or expect to be paid within 2 days. You can ask to be paid within 4 days. Ebay give buyers 8 days to pay when a non paying bidder dispute is opened. Any item that is eligible for a refund and has been paid for with Paypal can be returned and a claim can also be made for a lost item. Your bangle might not qualify for the cheap large letter rate. Postage will cost $6.60 unless you can pack it flat. Apart from that the listing I've looked at looks all right.

TCT
Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

I would be concerned about the 60/65c postage.

To post something at that price by Australia Post it needs to be less than 0.5cm thick. My immediate thought (and therefore maybe that of other buyers) is - Is there any protective packaging or will the earrings etc get damaged in the sorting machine?

I would consider sending them by large letter rather than small.

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

Well, you've sold something now (in black and white please in case you miss the message on my PayPal payment):-D

As others have suggested, close the store and save the $50 per month until your feedback and the number of listings build up.  It might also be helpful if you buy a couple of low priced items to move your feedback along.  All ebayers start on 0!

Good luck:-D

Message 10 of 59
Latest reply