Newbie to selling on ebay

Hi,
Just wondering if any of you lovely ebay peeps have any tips for me selling on ebay? I need to sell a range of different items clothing, shoes etc and not sure how to go about it. Ive startec by ordering my satchels 3kg and 500g...if im selling a pair of jeans would the 3kg take the weight or would i jave to weigh each individual item...sorry for questions..but need to start somewhere ๐Ÿ˜Š
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Newbie to selling on ebay

I forgot that one Lyndal!

Perhaps be mindful of the background in the shot when photographing should be added? Or not to photograph a shiny kettle whilst in the nude with a mirror in the pic? LOL!

In other words; For the OP; The plain white background is best; Except for when picturing white items! Be aware that black sometimes looks blueish in Ebay pics - So if your item is black - state it within the description or title box & photograph on white when you can. 

As a final word from me; Always fill out the extra title description box(es) on every listing... There's nothing worse than finding a top you like - only to find no size stated anywhere! Check any description boxes that apply to your garment. & add extra details when you can. 

The first 4 words of the title line are your main selling avenue & searchable descripion - Make those first 4 words count. ...Such as ... Black crochet top jumper. Then use the rest to include tagged size & style. You then get those people who are searching for a black top, jumper or crochet (which is hot right now in jumpers!- I'm wearing a top just like my description right now!) & I'm nearly 60yo!

Never pay for extras & upgrades when listing. Use your 40 free per month to your own advantage. Good Luck & Happy Selling to the OP!

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Regarding photos - just to add to what others have said.

Please do not photograph items on the floor!!!!!!!!!

JMO but would never buy things that have been laid out on the floor.  If something is worth selling/buying it deserves better than the floor.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

If not worth selling then consider donating to a worthy charity. Salvos; Smiths  & Vinnies spring to my mind. Take your items to a local store. Never put nice items in one of those dumpster type bins or bagged pickups by your own mailbox.

I once visited a sorting centre as a supervisor with a high school aged youth group -  when they have an overload all go as rags or landfill! I was dismayed by the nice items just being dumped!

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Mr Tippy worked at the local tip for awhile and every day the Salvo's would dump truck loads of perfectly good clothes. A lot still had tags on. Hand knitted baby clothes and blankets. Full sized good quality blankets. Right around the same time they were putting ads on the TV wanting blankets and stuff for winter. I scored lots of brand new clothes.

I never give the Salvo's the time of day after that. I live in a rural area so it's not like they're going to be overwhelmed with stuff every single day that they needed to send at least 2 trucks to the tip every day. Especially as there are 2 other charities in close proximity that don't feel the need to dump perfectly good, brand new clothing and thick good quality wool blankets in winter.Last time I wanted to get rid of a couple of blankets I took them to Sydney and gave them to a homeless man that I knew hung around where I was staying (I had them cleaned first and I also took him some food).

I'd rather sell things on here a bit cheaper and know that someone is going to take them than have someone like the Salvo's cut them up or just chuck them out. Especially if they've only been worn a couple of times.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Mr Tippy worked at the local tip for awhile and every day the Salvo's would dump truck loads of perfectly good clothes. A lot still had tags on. Hand knitted baby clothes and blankets. Full sized good quality blankets. Right around the same time they were putting ads on the TV wanting blankets and stuff for winter. I scored lots of brand new clothes.

I never give the Salvo's the time of day after that. I live in a rural area so it's not like they're going to be overwhelmed with stuff every single day that they needed to send at least 2 trucks to the tip every day. Especially as there are 2 other charities in close proximity that don't feel the need to dump perfectly good, brand new clothing and thick good quality wool blankets in winter.Last time I wanted to get rid of a couple of blankets I took them to Sydney and gave them to a homeless man that I knew hung around where I was staying (I had them cleaned first and I also took him some food).

I'd rather sell things on here a bit cheaper and know that someone is going to take them than have someone like the Salvo's cut them up or just chuck them out. Especially if they've only been worn a couple of times.

Wow that's rather shocking. I'm sure donors would be horrified if they knew where their goods were going.    People genuinely want to make a donation, they are not throwing things away.   In my area we have a new Red Cross store and I take my clothes there and they are always grateful.   I gave them clothes and shoes that have never been worn, just invexpensive stuff that doesn't sell on eBay because it isn't worth the cost of postage. 

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I agree, it's very disheartening what happens at those so called charity shops now.

These days If I have something warm like old blankets or towels, I take them to the RSPCA  - in winter, they are very much appreciated.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

My suggestion would be to change your selling name to something a bit more specific:  like DianasClothes

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply