Not cut out for selling?

This is my main selling account but I have another start-up one to see if people have more confidence to buy from a different ID with slightly different pics/products/description. Basically, I've realised that my own personality is probably not cut out for selling... I know what price I want (as some things I bought specifically to sell) and am not happy until it reaches somewhere in the same ballpark but alot of times it won't even come close... alot of watchers, hardly any bids over $1 or $2, which is nowhere even close to what the same item would be worth with a different seller selling it. I know that. It's frustrating to find out the perfect "way" of selling to people. There is a way but I probably don't have the patience to keep up the charade of pretending to be the type of seller they all want to buy from. Same "tactic" is used by all good businesses, who have the smarts to know "how to sell." It takes their personality out of the equation. I find it hard to do that for long periods.

This may apply to some sellers on here who are struggling. Well, my advice is the opposite of what I'm whinging about. You should try and put as much of your personality into your listing as possible. Make it sweet and charming, homely, yet also professional. Business will really pick up when people feel warm by entering into your listing. For the really expensive things, key word is professional... but keep the same personality too. This is a nice little rant for tonight but hopefully it can help some others too.

Not everyone is a perfect seller... but there are "tactics" to use to help. Sometimes it's about taking your own personality out but other times it's about putting your personality in. Just a matter of deciding when it's best to do that. Try different things, different pictures, caps/no caps, colours, etc... it's a testing process until you find one that buyers respond to. Rant over... for now.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Not cut out for selling?

souly, I know you have been selling CDs and DVDs and I think these are some of the hardest things to sell consistently.  I know you have had some fantastic success listings where the price went so high, but others that sold for start bid or not at all.

A good message for new sellers is be careful if buying things that you intend to sell on eBay.  Do your homework and check out eBay listings, both live and completed, so that you can know the market for the items you intend to sell.  This will let you know what sort of price to pay when buying the things to sell (whether at clearance sales or garage sales or other places) and you can ensure that you sell for a higher price than you pay.

It is good to see that you are adapting, and trying a new approach.  Good luck with the new ID and all your eBay activity. 

Not cut out for selling?

Thanks LOTB and I'm sorry your two cameras haven't got more offers. I remember when one sold relatively quickly. You really can't have a much better listing than what you already have.

Yes, for any potential sellers/re-sellers, it's good to have a plan in the works beforehand, aswell as testing it out with general products, just to see if you can tweak your basic listing pracetice (title, description, pics, etc) in any way. The market for things on eBay is huge and often times it really depends on how you market a product, not necessarily the product itself. So, having a great method is as important as the actual product.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Not cut out for selling?

I try not to put any of 'me' into my listings, I don't use templates, I'm not the cheapest, a lot of my items are well down the list in 'best' match, I don't do auctions (so no chance of the single bid bargain), but I still sell things. I do do good descriptions, I think, and take good scans.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Not cut out for selling?

the other thing to consider is whether there is a 'right' time to sell.  Last year I was selling a fair bit of AFL related stuff on this ID.  During the season is the time to sell AFL stuff, and immediately after the Grand Final.  So things are slow for that sort of gear for months.

On another ID, I was listing some teaching resources mid-year 2012.  I relisted them about 4 times and they didn't sell so I just put them away for a while.  I listed them on Sunday and they sold in less than two hours.  School goes back soon and teachers are on holidays.  Many of them are probably staying up late and looking through eBay listings 😉 . . . . or posting on the boards :^O

The cameras will sell, eventually.  I am hoping they will have more interest when school, TAFE and Uni goes back.  Students will need film cameras for their courses and very few stores sell new film cameras now so eBay is a good source of cameras for them.  All I need is one student who wants a 'different' camera.

Not cut out for selling?

Soul, I don't think you give yourself enough credit! I was going through the boards recently and came across your ID and noticed you had reached over 50 in feedback. I thought to myself that's really good to see, Soul must be doing well! I remember when you first started out and had concerns about selling.

I think both LOTB & davewil have given you some great advice. DVDs & CDs take time to sell. I once sold a dress and it took ages to sell, I think I re-listed it more than 7 times, in the end it sold and at the price I wanted.

So don't give up! You are obviously doing something right! As new or experienced sellers we always have things we can improve in and can learn better ways of doing things with trial & error.

Keep up the good work!

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Not cut out for selling?

Thanks AJ and I hope you eventually sell those canisters! They can't get much cheaper than that but if you do just want to get rid of them, maybe sart them at 0.99c. I've been doing a clear-out to try and get rid of things and found it works quite well to start things low if you're not too worried about making a mint.

Davewil and LOTB offer some great advice. Selling ain't easy... and not everyone is cut out for it but there are tips and tricks to use to help. Here's eBay's own guide for new sellers:

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/Hub/How_to_sell/Welcome

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Not cut out for selling?

Thanks Soul for the link!

Yes hopefully my canisters will sell in time, just thought I'd wait a bit to relist since it's been the holiday season, also have been fairly busy with my 2 year old twins who keep me on my toes!  Never a quiet moment here!  :^O

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Not cut out for selling?

Sounds like a busy but fulfilling life! My mum is now a grandparent and she just adores her little grandson.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Not cut out for selling?

Soul,in order to be a SUPER successful seller,PJ & I have come to the following conclusion 

1-Take a REALLY bad photo ie thrown on floor,back of lounge,blurry etc

2-ONLY list using ebay mobile

3-Use only ONE line of text speak as your description

Perfect formula & guaranteed to make you a super duper successful seller in 2 seconds flat :-D:-D

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply