OK. So What Does This Mean.

Good morning.

Yesterday for the want of something better to do I did a bit of hunting.

I emailed David Jones P.L. to ask:

As of the 1st November are items paid through PayPal covered by the 180 day Money Back Guarantee.

Their answer:

Thank you for contacting David Jones Online.

May I kindly advise that any inquiries to do with PayPal are best to be asked directed to a PayPal representative. Any transactions between customers such as yourself and PayPal are between the two parties aforementioned and David Jones does not have an involvement with the policies put forth to you by PayPal.

We apologise we are not able to be of assistance in regards to this matter. Thank you for your interest in David Jones and we wish to serve you in the future.

Kind regards,

Michelle Zhang
Online Customer Service Assistant
1800 354 663
online@davidjones.com.au

DAVID JONES LIMITED      ABN 75 000 074 573

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: OK. So What Does This Mean.

It means there not happy either.Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

It means exactly what it says. If you are paying through paypal then their terms and conditions apply
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

For starters the Paypal 180 day returns policy is not the same as the Money Back Guarantee which is an Ebay policy. 

I have been reading and re-reading these new policies and it seems to me that both are designed for "significantly not as described" situations.  The Ebay release said that it will be up to sellers if they offer Change of Mind returns, although they would be encouraging us to do so as a customer service measure, or something to that effect.  I suspect the big stores like DJs would basically maintain their existing return policies (whatever they may be).  I think we just need to ensure our own policies are clear.  I offer 30 day returns for items not as described with full refund if returned in the same condition it was sent in, and will consider change of mind (by negotiation) but with the buyer wearing postage both ways.  For most items I think it would be difficult for a buyer to prove the item was SNAD on delivery if that delivery was several months ago, so I don't really anticipate too many issues along those lines although I guess it is an unknown factor.  I am certainly not going to let fear of the unknown drive me away, which is possibly what Ebay are banking on happening with many smaller sellers (*removing the tin foil hat now, lol).

I could be wrong (frequently am, lol) but I'm trying not to panic nor to buy in to conspiracy theories, I prefer to wait and see.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@crusader-rabbit48 wrote:

Good morning.

Yesterday for the want of something better to do I did a bit of hunting.

I emailed David Jones P.L. to ask:

As of the 1st November are items paid through PayPal covered by the 180 day Money Back Guarantee.

That's quite easy to answer - No.

A) because the 180 day extension to PayPal's claim period doesn't begin until November 18, and B) because PayPal aren't offering a 'Money Back Guarantee' (they offer a means to dispute a payment, technically nothing is guaranteed).

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
It means exactly what it says. If you are paying through paypal then their terms and conditions apply

Exactly.

The terms & conditions apply between the buyer paying through PayPal & PayPal.

DJ's being the seller has their own policies - as do we.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The customer chooses what payment method they will use. DJ's have nothing to do with Paypal terms and conditions.

DJ's could choose not to offer Paypal as a payment choice if they don't like Paypal's new terms & conditions.

eBay sellers don't have that same freedom.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

eBay sellers don't have that same freedom.

They do not have to offer Paypal, they can offer Paymate or direct credit card payments as their safe payment option however the seller protection against bank chargebacks does not apply to Paymate and credit card payments can be initiated up to 12 months after payment with some banks.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes,I realise that. eBay sellers don't have total freedom to choose their payment methods e.g. Can't have bank deposit only.

Would Paypal & Bank deposit be the most common payment methods ,for non-business sellers at least? . I wouldn't scrap Paypal and add Paymate instead, I  think it would turn buyers off buying from me.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply