Offers to sell outside of Ebay

A potential buyer sent us a message asking if it was possible to collect an item directly from us.  We confirmed no problems and just call us to arrange a time.

Straight away we get an email from EBay accusing us of making an offer to sell outside of EBay!! 

Rang to expalin that we merelye answered to customer question and if they had visited then the transaction would have been processed through our EBay account (for our own accounting purposes if for no other reason).  Not a good enough explanation for EBay - customer needs to make purchase first and then ask about local pick-up.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

wanderingw
Community Member

why cant we sell outside of ebay if buyer doesnt want to go through ebay

Message 51 of 54
Latest reply

Have you got the, I presume, caravan advertised on multiple sites ?  If not then the buyer has used eBay to find it so they deserve to have the selling fees for the sale. If you have got it listed on other sites then, apart from it not being a particularly good idea, then maybe you should end the eBay listing.

BUT if you do end it, eBay may still try to get the fees for it because you've put your phone number in the listing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 53 of 54
Latest reply

@wanderingw wrote:

why cant we sell outside of ebay if buyer doesnt want to go through ebay

selling through eBay does offer protections to sellers IF they follow the guidelines set down for selling on eBay.

Sure, there have been cases where sellers fair poorly due to buyer actions, but those who follow the guidelines and quote eBay/PayPal policy back to them generally end up with a good outcome.

If a buyer has offered you more for an item than you have listed it for on eBay then I call SCAM.

If a buyer says they have paid into your bank account and show you a screen capture of the deposit but that the funds are being held in escrow then I call SCAM.

If a buyer says they are out of town working and they will get an agent to collect the item then I call SCAM.

If a buyer sends you 'proof' that they have paid hundreds more than what is due and that you are to 'refund' their agent when they collect the item OR that you need to refund them by Western Union then I definitely call SCAM.

For all its faults, eBay works as a selling method for millions who do not let buyers dictate the decisions they make regarding sales.

Finally, ask yourself this . . . why would a buyer forfeit buyer protections by offering to buy off-eBay?

Message 54 of 54
Latest reply