Offers to sell outside of Ebay

A potential buyer sent us a message asking if it was possible to collect an item directly from us.  We confirmed no problems and just call us to arrange a time.

Straight away we get an email from EBay accusing us of making an offer to sell outside of EBay!! 

Rang to expalin that we merelye answered to customer question and if they had visited then the transaction would have been processed through our EBay account (for our own accounting purposes if for no other reason).  Not a good enough explanation for EBay - customer needs to make purchase first and then ask about local pick-up.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

That's why I said "apparently" they can do it, and eBay turns a blind eye to it.

Members here have noticed it happening......

I don't often deal with the big box sellers so I don't have proof that it's happening, but I suspect it is.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 31 of 54
Latest reply

eBay is so intent on ensuring that people don't sell elsewhere, but they don't think about (let alone try to fix) the reasons why sellers might not want to sell here.

It isn't just the fees.

Whether eBay likes it or not, social media is a big deal, and most businesses use it. Instead of banning sellers from linking to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, why not work with those companies?

At the end of the day, there is nothing eBay can do to stop me putting a paper leaflet in with my orders with links to my social media accounts.

Message 32 of 54
Latest reply

I agree, my sales have been dwindling to nothing for the past several years, I am only active on ebay these days to clear my stock as I really dont see the point in listing any new items or pursuing a business on ebay any longer ... pity as I was doing fairly well prior to cassini and the rest of the changes which now make up the new system

Message 33 of 54
Latest reply

prm57
Community Member

I know this is a little off topic and I apologize in advance.

Just before Christmas I purchased some wine off a well-known Ebay seller on my other Ebay account.  Since then, I have received 10 phone calls from this company, wanting to sell me more wine and offering me free delivery.

Each time I have asked them to remove my name and to please stop ringing me, but my requests have just been ignored time and time again. 

I’m at the stage now, where I’m just angry and fed up with the harassment from this Ebay seller. 

Any advise and how to deal with this Ebay seller would be greatly appreciated.

Message 34 of 54
Latest reply

@prm57wrote:

I know this is a little off topic and I apologize in advance.

Just before Christmas I purchased some wine off a well-known Ebay seller on my other Ebay account.  Since then, I have received 10 phone calls from this company, wanting to sell me more wine and offering me free delivery.

Each time I have asked them to remove my name and to please stop ringing me, but my requests have just been ignored time and time again. 

I’m at the stage now, where I’m just angry and fed up with the harassment from this Ebay seller. 

Any advise and how to deal with this Ebay seller would be greatly appreciated.

what they are doing is telemarketing, even though you have purchased from them before.  It is telemarketing because it is unsolicited.

My advice would be to register your phone number on the Do Not Call Register (if you haven’t already).

Then, next time they call you simply advise them that your number is registered on the Do Not Call Register and that if they call again you will report them to ACMA, the authority that deals with unsolicited calls.  From now on keep diary entries (with notations) about the times they call you.  Tell them you are keeping diary entries regarding their calls.  You need them to understand that you know your rights and are prepared to make a complaint against them to ACMA.  If you feel that the caller is just a company pleb, insist that they put their supervisor on and tell them the same things.  Ask for the supervisors name and record that in your diary entry.  If they refuse to give their name, tell them you have recorded in your diary entry that they have refused.

If you newly register your number there is a waiting period of 30 days for business/telemarketers to comply with your registration, but after that they are risking a fine if they persist to call you without your permission.  Here are two screengrabs from the DNCR webpage:

E85818BD-32C6-4276-A1C0-36BFBFBF764E.jpeg

962E05A8-B92D-4445-9E7D-524627272B20.jpeg

Read up on the DNCR at these websites:

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/home/about-the-do-not-call-register/

https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Phones/Landlines/Reduce-unwanted-calls/telemarketing-calls-do-you-kn...

I once received an unsolicited call from all from a telemarketer and I told them that my number was on the Do Not Call Register and that if they called me again I would report them to ACMA.  I also told them that I had researched the DNCR and knew my rights and that they would be in breach if they called me again.  I also told them that I didn’t have to prove that I had asked them not to call me as my number being on the list was sufficient for them to be fined by ACMA if they called me.  I never heard back from them.

Do not tell them your number is on the DNCR unless it is.  Do not try to bluff them as it is easy for them to check, and if you later make a complaint about unsolicited calls it may muddy the waters about anything you say IF you have tried to bluff them.  Registration is free and it covers you against all sorts of unsolicited calls.

Message 35 of 54
Latest reply

@prm57

further to my previous post, it would help if you had a pre-prepared script written out so that you do not rely on your memory of this thread when they call.  Also have a second script if they keep calling.  I have included possible scripts in the spoiler below.

Make the script in succinct dot point form and keep it by your phone.  Follow the script and keep repeating it if the caller tries to get you off track if they say something like “we are only calling you because you are a valued customer and we want to offer you a good saving on our regular price”.

You can be sure that unsolicited callers will be reading from a script sheet.  They will have prepared things to say for anything you tell them, including telling them that you do not wish to receive further calls.

If you have a script ready you can simply start reading it and even if they butt in you just continue to read until you finish.  If they say anything to try to engage you in conversation say something like “It appears that I have not made myself clear so I will say it all again” and go through the whole script again.  If they get the inkling that you have a prepared script they will know you have prepared yourself and will be more likely to take your report threats seriously.

Also, have the web address for the DNCR handy and tell them they should read up on their responsibilities and possible penalties at “w w w dot do not call dot gov dot a u”.

If you type type out your scripts and print them you can note the date and time of the call on that print copy.  Have print copies of Script one and Script two.  If you have to read Script two you should make a complaint to ACMA.  Scan or take a photo of your notated scripts as evidence of what you said in the calls that led to your complaint.

Spoiler
read without stopping and do not give them a chance to break your script. Practice it a few times after you finalise it, that will give you confidence and make you less liable to being interrupted.  Be prepared to talk over them if you have to.

Script one (for the next time they call)

- I have previously informed your business that I do not wish to receive marketing calls.

- My phone number is now registered on the Do Not call register

- it is an offence for businesses to call numbers on that register for marketing purposes

- should you call me again I will be making a complaint to ACMA regarding your continued calls

- You can read up on your responsibilities and possible penalties at w w w dot do not call dot com dot a u

if they try to engage you say

It appears that I have not made myself clear so I will say it all again

then repeat Script one again without stopping.

After the second reading, if they try to engage you in conversation read this next bit and repeat it over and over if they do not transfer you to their supervisor.

- I would like to speak to your immediate supervisor

If they still do not transfer you to their supervisor simply HANG UP.  If they transfer you to their supervisor read Script one to them, twice if necessary.  If they say they are the highest ranked employee in that department then HANG UP as they are the highest ranked employee and you have already read Script one to them.

Script two (if you receive a call anytime after having read script one, even if it is weeks later)

- who am I speaking to?  (Make a note of the name even if it is only something like “Mike”)

- I will be reporting you and your business to ACMA for making marketing calls to this number which is registered on the Do Not Call Register

HANG UP WITHOUT ENTERING INTO CONVERSATION.  If they call straight back repeat this script and hang up again, and make a complaint to ACMA

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumers/lodge-a-complaint/
Message 36 of 54
Latest reply

k1ooo-sir-sales,

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me.  Your support and advice have been extremely helpful and I will definitely follow through with your wonderful suggestions.

Thank you so much k1ooo-sir-sales, I truly appreciate it.

Message 37 of 54
Latest reply

@prm57wrote:

k1ooo-sir-sales,

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me.  Your support and advice have been extremely helpful and I will definitely follow through with your wonderful suggestions.

Thank you so much k1ooo-sir-sales, I truly appreciate it.

it’s about knowing your rights and being firm.  Practice your scripts with someone you know well, someone you would find difficult to talk over.  Do it over a drink and take turns reading while the other tries to interrupt . . . . . . . . make the practice a fun thing.  Then, when a stranger on the phone tries to break in mid-Script you will not be caught off guard and you will be able to just keep reading.  Your friend may appreciate the activity if they too are receiving unwanted calls as they will benefit.

If you don’t want to practice with a friend then turn on the radio and tune in to Ray Hadley, Alan Jones or Neil Mitchell.  If you can talk over the sounds from the radio when Ray or Alan are talking you can talk over anybody Smiley LOL

Telemarketing callers usually get paid by results, so as soon as the caller realises they are wasting their time they will hang up.  You can have fun with this by re-reading Script one as long as they are prepared to stay on the phone.  Then, rather than being a nuisance call it can become free assertive behaviour training for you.  If you have to read it four or five times you might find adding “are you enjoying this because I am” into the script will annoy them and they will go away.

I wish you luck on this, and remember to not let them interrupt you.  You are not being rude if you talk over them when they try to interrupt.  It is hard at first as our first instinct is to not talk over others.  

Message 38 of 54
Latest reply

I know solar panels are off topic, but I received 4 calls in one day & someone else in town received 9 ! I'm nearly out of my mind with these scammers who have been ringing me for years & then someone on facebook said 'you can block them if you have the right phone/phone plan'?

My clever son worked out how to block them on my Panasonic digital home phone (it's nothing fancy) & my plan has calling number display.  Problem solved. I'm so relieved I feel like going out & celebrating, anyone want to join me? 

That aside, I too got in trouble for contacting a seller for phone number. Hubby was going to a conference in Melbourne & if the stars aligned he could pick up a piece of furniture.We also wanted to offer the seller less than his buy now price.  No way was I going to hit buy it now & pay when there was a chance the seller would not be home or failed to get back to me with an address. 

Seller  contacted me just in time as Hubby was leaving to come home & it all worked out.

Ebay went crook at me & I guess the seller copped a pasting too. Value of furniture I hear you ask,?  $10 

Sure, if I'd had a few days instead of 1, I could have asked the seller if he'd be home, if he'd lower the buy now price etc but I simply didn't have time. 

Message 39 of 54
Latest reply

As a follow up to those links, charities are exempt from the DNCR, and

companies or organisations that you have had past dealings with.

Will registering my number stop all unsolicited marketing calls and faxes?

No, registration won't stop all unsolicited marketing calls and faxes. Some public interest organisations, such as registered charities, political parties and educational institutions, can still contact numbers on the register. This ensures these organisations can continue to provide valuable services to the community.

If you have an existing relationship with a organisation, it can still contact you. For example, it may be reasonable to expect to receive a telemarketing call (or fax) from a financial institution, utility, service provider or telephone carrier if you have an existing account. Companies can also call if you’ve given express consent for them to do so, for example, by completing a web form requesting contact.

You can request a organisation to stop calling you and/or faxing at any time.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumers/consumer-overview/receiving-calls-after-registering/

But as slr sales said, you can request that they stop.

Message 40 of 54
Latest reply