Offers to sell outside of Ebay

A potential buyer sent us a message asking if it was possible to collect an item directly from us.  We confirmed no problems and just call us to arrange a time.

Straight away we get an email from EBay accusing us of making an offer to sell outside of EBay!! 

Rang to expalin that we merelye answered to customer question and if they had visited then the transaction would have been processed through our EBay account (for our own accounting purposes if for no other reason).  Not a good enough explanation for EBay - customer needs to make purchase first and then ask about local pick-up.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

@melbourneclearance wrote:

There are Auction biddings on a listings with a set expiry time. The potential buyers can come look and you can send them away to bid.

And then there are Buy It Now listings, where the potential buyers come and say "Perfect! I'll take it!" and wave their $100 bills in front of you. These ones you don't send out the door. I understand that ebay wants their commission, but they do not have an easy way of allowing inspection of an item before buying. If GT, a much smaller company, can allow this sort of dealings and still be profitable, why can't ebay?

Yes, I understand what you mean, there would not currently be an easy way for buyers to inspect items before bidding because sellers can be in trouble if they give out addresses or phone numbers.. I thought this applied across the board, to auction as well as buy it now items but I could be wrong.

With the buy it now option, if somehow you did get around it and had a customer at your home wanting to pay immediately, would it not be worthwhile though to go online (on your own phone or computer if need be) and complete the purchase there & then?

The problem that I can see is if you sold it without doing that, there is a slight chance someone else could, in the meantime, be online and click on the buy it now button?

Message 21 of 54
Latest reply

Yes, ebay enforces the no contact rule for all listings. I was just making a point that it is easier to send the potential customers away for auction listings.

The buyer and seller can certainly complete the sale through ebay on the premise after they have agreed on the transaction. But that is a few more extra steps, a few more minutes, and some more inconvenience. I'm not sure how many people would do that. I think that is what ebay thinks too, as we now see they're on a crusade to wipe out contact before a purchase. That is totally understandable because they do live off their commissions. What they lack now is a proper way to let buyers inspect goods before buying, expensive ones at least. I always say no to request for inspection before buying of anything under $100, but when someone wants to buy a $1000 item, they deserve to inspect it first before committing.

Message 22 of 54
Latest reply

Yes, ebay enforces the no contact rule for all listings.

Apparently an Anchor store is able to have contact details in their listings.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 54
Latest reply

Really? What a loophole that is!

Message 24 of 54
Latest reply

Well sort of, if you can justify nearly $550.00 a month in fees..................

Note, When I did the calculation it wasn't for auctions, hence the no fees for them.

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 25 of 54
Latest reply

Yes, ebay enforces the no contact rule for all listings. I was just making a point that it is easier to send the potential customers away for auction listings.

The buyer and seller can certainly complete the sale through ebay on the premise after they have agreed on the transaction. But that is a few more extra steps, a few more minutes, and some more inconvenience. I'm not sure how many people would do that. I think that is what ebay thinks too, as we now see they're on a crusade to wipe out contact before a purchase. That is totally understandable because they do live off their commissions. What they lack now is a proper way to let buyers inspect goods before buying, expensive ones at least. I always say no to request for inspection before buying of anything under $100, but when someone wants to buy a $1000 item, they deserve to inspect it first before committing.

I agree completely.

Message 26 of 54
Latest reply

" If GT, a much smaller company, can allow this sort of dealings and still be profitable, why can't ebay?"

what is GT

Message 27 of 54
Latest reply

Gumtree, of course.

Message 28 of 54
Latest reply

A wholly owned subsidiary of eBay, that undoubtedly DOESN'T make a profit.

Message 29 of 54
Latest reply

There's nothing in the new policies about Anchor stores having different rules. The policy says no contact information can be displayed in listings AT ALL.
Message 30 of 54
Latest reply