Orders going missing with Australia Post

Hi..Just wondering if anyone else has been having trouble with orders going missing in the Post?   I have had 15 missing orders since July and post around 100 articles per week so not a huge mailout...I have approach them (Australia Post) previously and because I sell Jewellery they are not interested in compensating...The jewellery is small items and not practical to Register but it is becoming costly for me to keep refunding or replacing orders for customers because of failed delivery...If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it...Thanks

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Orders going missing with Australia Post

From eBay's "Selling Pracitices Policy" which sellers agree to every time they click "List Item"....

You should not:

Say that you're not responsible for item delivery, or for ensuring that the item is delivered. For example, these statements aren't allowed:

'I'm not responsible for the item once it's been dropped in the mail'

'I'm not responsible for items lost in the post'

'Without insurance, I can't be responsible for items lost in the post'.

Link: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-practices.html#delivery 

I always use C&S or Registered Post for any items that I am not willing to provide a full refund (inc. postage, which IMO a buyer should not pay if they never received their item) at my own cost. It's not just AP losing or stealing items, it's also the buyers claiming they didn't get their item when they did.

Message 41 of 52
Latest reply

I’m well aware of this listing policy.  I’m also well aware that the policy does not say, if you sell on eBay, you accept responsibility of goods until they have been received, and for the purposes of distance trading “delivery” and “receipt” are not one in the same. 

In connection with the sale of all specific goods that require to be delivered, that is those goods paid for but which cannot be picked up, the seller is only responsible for the goods until they have been handed over to the carrier, at which time they are deemed delivered.  This applies in every case irrespective of the location or site on which the item is purchased, and irrespective of whether the listing warns the buyer that this is case.  That is for the purposes of the statute, delivery has occurred before the item is actually received and there is no requirement in the statute that the seller warn the buyer that that is the case.

Now, by using the word delivery as distinct to receipt, the listing condition doesn’t extend the definition of delivery to when the buyer receives the goods because, if the intention of the clause was to do that, it would have had to have been worded something like ‘Say that you're not responsible for item until it has been received’.  That is by retaining the word delivery the condition does nothing more than acknowledge that the item is at the buyers risk after it has been handed over to the carrier (delivered).

Therefore if in the Terms and Conditions part of the listing, the seller says something like ‘I don’t accept responsibility for item lost or damaged after they have been handed over to Australia Post’ this is in no way in contravention of the cited policy.  That is because, by retaining the word delivered as distinct to received the policy has limited its application to what the sellers must do before it is handed to the carrier.

Oh and just for the completeness sake, the statute imposes specific obligations on seller as to what they must do before item is handed over to the carrier, and the sole purpose this part of the listing policy is to stop sellers contraction out of those responsibilities.

As for the other examples you cite, it’s not a good idea to cherry pick because it provide for a flawed outcome. 

The policy you cite deals with what the seller can/cannot include in there listings and where within the listing things are to said/included.

The initial clause “Say that you're not responsible for item delivery” is a restriction imposed on the seller to as to what they must not include in that part of the listing where the seller divulges their Terms and Conditions which forms the basis of sales contract, whereas the examples you cite (eg “'I'm not responsible for the item once it's been dropped in the mail’ and “I'm not responsible for items lost in the post”) are limitations imposed on the seller as to what they should not include in that part of the listing provided to disclose “Postage Times”. 

Therefore in actually, the policy does not preclude the inclusion of  ‘You are not responsible for items lost or damaged in the post’ just as long as this is said in that part of the listing where the sellers divulges their Terms and Conditions, and not in the free text compartment of teh same listing where the seller advises the buyer as to when item will be posted. 

Message 42 of 52
Latest reply

I took a couple of days off over the school holidays and took my "shop" with me.  Sales were good and I put items in the mail at a different post office to the norm.  I sent 2 large letters to one lady interstate.  they were posted in the same box on the same day.  One arrived 5 days after the other. 

I posted a parcel through the post office (standard parcel postage) and I had my receipt.  The buyer advised that it never arrived.  Purchased 24th, posted 25th not received as of the 8 October.  I have had to resend and pay for registered mail in case it happens again. 

I feel for the buyer who never received it however I know that I posted it.  I took a photo of the replacement parcel.

So in swapping post offices I immediately experienced problems.  No issue in around 280 sales but as soon as I used another post office an hour away - I had problems. 

My guess is that stuff does go missing for a variety of reasons iincluding theft.  Unfortunately we end up paying.  AP need to get their act together and not charge extra for deliveries we are already paying for.

I live in hope - I will be waiting !

To the person who posted I would try another post office and see how you go.

regards

Sally

Message 43 of 52
Latest reply

Butg has anyone made mention of the original OP's terms of sale about Feedback. Those terms would be against eBay policy for feedback solicitation?

Message 44 of 52
Latest reply

15 Missing in one month?

I can tell you the truth: at least 10 of them are received. Because you send it without tracking number, so they claim never received.

Message 45 of 52
Latest reply

I love buying jewellery full stop!!! Couldn't careless if it is $500 or $0.01... If I like it is all that matters to me.

I try to keep postage costs down as well as my items don't need to be sent with tracking either because of size and weight. I know it is a risk but I take it. Things went well for me for months and months not one missing item nor damaged item.

Then I had 2 in 1 month missing, and 1 damaged. I asked the buyer of the 1 damaged if they could send me a picture their reply was wait I will just find my camera and never heard from them again. (This was in May)

As for the 2 that went missing I refunded.

I thought about including tracking but if I did that I just couldn't compete with bigger sellers and no one would buy from me. Instead I just started putting senders address on the back of the enevople, since then not one item has gone missing nor has one item been returned to me.

However I did get some feedback (although it was positive feedback) that one buyer had some damage but they were still obviously happy with their purchase to leave me positive feedback. And never requested a refund or nothing. I they hinted about their postie not being the best (not my words).

Message 46 of 52
Latest reply

millj40
Community Member

I have had zero items with tracking go missing in the last year.  

Small items that I send in an envelope with no tracking though .. I estimate 2 out of every ten in the last 5 months the buyer will claim they aren't received (usually via a message, not a dispute).  Given they usually opt for a refund rather than the item being resent I am beginning to think it's becoming a known way to get items for free. 

Due to this I have pretty much stopped selling small items in the last month. I make very little on them anyway, they were more for fb boosters.  However, with the new 'defect' system including 3 stars as a defect I believe they may work against me (not they they aren't good products, but people who buy small things cheap seem to me to be harder to please than people who spend big dollars).

Message 47 of 52
Latest reply

I posted over the counter at AP, the addressee was a PO box with SOD.

The only tracking was my lodgement and they still lost it

they are useless

Message 48 of 52
Latest reply

Been buying lots on ebay since start of the year to take my mind of problems!! Mostly stuff from china (not expensive) and i have received every item!
I recently purchased (nearly $200 worth) a few early bday presents for my self to try cheers myself up abit (been bad year!) So looking forward to receiving them...2 from Sydney and 1 from US! Delivery around 31st May...I checked letter box on the monday the tuesday and the wednesday...nothing!! Thursday I decided to check tracking thru ebay....ALL 3 ITEMS WHERE DELIVERED TUESDAY 30TH MAY 11:43 am!! ....i started work at 12 all of these days and checked letter box less than 5mins after posty had been as i drove past him on other side of street and there was NOTHING IN MY LETTERBOX!!!
Full investigation is in place..posty saying someone has taken...YEAH POSTY HAS TAKEN!!!!
LAST STRAW....
NOT IMPRESSED AND NOT LOSING MY BDAY PRESENTS!!!!
Message 49 of 52
Latest reply

jessiekaka, why have you dragged up a thread that originally started 5 years ago and has not sreen the light of day for 3.  If there is a problem start a new thread. 

You say you have started investigations, wait to see what that shows.  Did you ask for copy of signatures if they were required..

Message 50 of 52
Latest reply