Overcharged ebay fees

Has anyone noticed recently that they have had odd things happening with their ebay fees?

Just went over some recent fees more closely than normal and noticed that occasionally (since Feb 18) my fees randomly jump to 12% instead of 10.89% (including GST).

https://i.imgur.com/knHsgvz.png

All 3 of those sold within a day or so of one another, all were listed in the same category and for the same price. The actual fee is $5.99x0.1089 = $0.6523 which is correct for two of the FVF listings, but then there is a random one for $0.72 which is 12%.

This is all private sales (i.e. no store) and includes GST and has free shipping. I have top rated status (so it isn't the new 2% fee which comes in effect in a couple of months).

Closer inspection shows it probably happened on about 50 percent of my listings in the last month. Money wise, it isn't much, only like $10-15.

Spoke to ebay chat and it has been escalated to ebay technical, so who knows what will happen, but thought i should let you guys know and you should check your fees to see if you are also effected.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Overcharged ebay fees

Thanks for the heads up. Think I'd better check mine.🙂

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

Well you say it's not much $10-$15 but x that by 1 million sellers being over charged and ebay gets an extra $15 million WOW!

Sneaky ebay at it again.

But of course there will be a good explanation for it from ebay.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

A month back, I got charged Insertion Fees on over 80 items which had auto-relisted - they were 30-day "Buy It Now" items which were re-listing under the three free relists.

Got it sorted after a Live Chat session with an eBay rep, but I'll guarantee there are countless users who wouldn't notice such things unless the fees were (as in my case) huge. 

As Kooka said - overcharge each user $10 a month, and it's a nice little earner...

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

@nostawnostawwrote:

Spoke to ebay chat and it has been escalated to ebay technical, so who knows what will happen,

_________________________________________________________________________________

in my experience, escalating to technical department is ebay's method of fobbing you off. I have seen no action ever happen in those cases. For example, the most recent one being ebay's international shipping option of "economy mail (untracked-signature)". By selecting this options, the customers expect a delivery requiring their signature, except that the signature expense ($5.49) goes out of my pocket as ebay does not charge them.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

So true - escalation to technical just gives the developers a good laugh at smoko.

I had the mailing label font size mismatch escalated over 3 years ago and I believe It's still the same.

(senders address is larger font than recipient's address).

As this can cause mail to be accidentally misdirected to the return address I would have thought it ranked as a high priority but I guess not (sigh).

Anyone using mailing labels via eBay's print system will still have to inspect the receiver address element and manually correct font size.

Thanks for the heads up with the fees; I'd been thinking about writing an inspection routine for excel so it's just gone up a notch in urgency.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

Well I didn't find any really oddball FVF's like those described above BUT I did find something interesting!

Apparently, the inclusion of GST has given eBay a small windfall profit.

I'm on 8.5% so when gst is added 9.35%

To extrapolate gst back to initial sell pricing the formula is (gst amount)*(100/9.35).

When I applied this to my invoice I found the derived figure is always slightly higher than the listing price, soo...

List price of $13.95 attracts FVF of $1.31

Yet FVF @ 9.35% is actually $1.304325 which eBay has rounded up by $0.005675 (a little more than 1/2 cent)

Interestingly, the rounding is never downward.

More interestingly, the rounding figure given in the invoice is $0.03

Not a lot I'll grant you, maybe a dollar or so per invoice, but I'm sure it works out nicely on the corporate balance sheet when scaled.

I just find it a bit sneaky as it would have been simple to have the rounding either up or down depending on the side of halfway the calculation falls.

The only time I find correct FVF is if the calculated figure is spot on to the cent.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

Many years back; No names mentioned; A High School friend of one of my daughters was what was known as a hacker. He rounded up all these points of a caent electronically & redirected them into his own account. All went fine until the Feds came calling - They ended up employing him!

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Overcharged ebay fees

Just noticed the same thing has starting happening to me getting charged 65c for some $6 items sold and 72c for other $6 items sold. Did you find out what caused this for you?

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply