PICKUP only.

Why would I  consider sending a large article interstate when I clearly stated PICKUP ONLY.

Are these people complete morons?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

PICKUP only.

No probs...

If they haven't paid in 4-days open an unpaid item case.

Then after a further 4-days close it.

Then relist your item.

And make sure they are then added to you Blocked Buyer List.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

chezzy
Community Member

One thing I have learnt is to make it very very clear that it is pick up only. Not just so it shows in tiny print in the Posts to part of the listing but actually including the words Pick up only in the title and also at the top (not just bottom) of the description. And in bold. This is to cover my bases for all those people who don't bother reading descriptions or might be on mobile devices where the view might be different.

I have to do this because in the past we have been mucked around, had bids from interstaters, people who say they have a friend or someone who can pick up item but then can't commit to a particular time frame (all this happening when we were in the midst of moving house and don't have the luxury of waiting around twiddling thumbs for hours).

Some items are just too bulky/awkward/fragile or require too much time investment/resources to justify anything other than pick up.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

@ilovemychooks wrote:

I don't think it hurts to ask the sellers, but people should ask BEFORE they bid/buy, not just expect that the seller would post because they bought their pick up only item from interstate.

THIS. Do it all beforehand. Do not arrogantly think you (you meaning in general) can bid and then get all smartypants and leave seller in position of having to cancel bids/end listing. Which happened to us a couple times. There was one point when I simply could not be bothered dealing with bidders like that anymore while we were in the midst of moving, for the sake of peace donated some to charity and others added to the hard rubbish collection on the nature strip!

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

Why would a seller breach ebay listing policy by offering a choice listing in a category that does not allow multi variant listings? Are they a complete moron?

See what a trendsetter I am?

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

PICKUP only.

No probs...

If they haven't paid in 4-days open an unpaid item case.

Then after a further 4-days close it.

Then relist your item.

And make sure they are then added to you Blocked Buyer List.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think it makes someone a moron to ask if you would consider posting/using a courier to send the item interstate.

Maybe it is the most fabulous item in the world and the buyer "just has to have it"

(I can relate to that)

Did they message you before the listing ended? Whilst possibly irritating, it could mean a sale or a higher price for your item if youb are prepared to get a price. Or perhaps even suggest they source a delivery service and you could work with them? (I did this once and used a courier that packed and wrapped and delivered, so my seller didn't have to do anything other than be there when the courier turned up)

If they just bought and then expected you to post/courier - well ok, in that case, I could probably go with calling them presumptious and arrogant, maybe, audacious and possibly slightly moronic, but *shrug* none of that is illegal. Just frustrating and Inconvenient.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

chezzy
Community Member

One thing I have learnt is to make it very very clear that it is pick up only. Not just so it shows in tiny print in the Posts to part of the listing but actually including the words Pick up only in the title and also at the top (not just bottom) of the description. And in bold. This is to cover my bases for all those people who don't bother reading descriptions or might be on mobile devices where the view might be different.

I have to do this because in the past we have been mucked around, had bids from interstaters, people who say they have a friend or someone who can pick up item but then can't commit to a particular time frame (all this happening when we were in the midst of moving house and don't have the luxury of waiting around twiddling thumbs for hours).

Some items are just too bulky/awkward/fragile or require too much time investment/resources to justify anything other than pick up.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

I list pick up only for things i reckon I will be too lazy to try and work out how to pack and post LOL

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

Some buyers like to "try their luck", but seriously furniture items, large car parts, stereo equipment/systems....when it clearly says Pick Up Only? I think in some of the descriptions we even said no couriers and that we would not be packing items....

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

I've seen a few things interstate that were listed as pick up only, but knew they were items that could be posted. I'd never place a bid before asking the seller whether they would consider posting, and of course tell them I would be more than willing to cover any postage costs, including handling costs, their time and packing materials. A few have said no, they wouldn't post and that is absolutely fine, but others have replied saying they didn't think people would want to pay the postage costs for their item and would be more than happy to post. Interestingly, most of the ones who said they wouldn't post didn't sell their items and they relisted multiple times, but the others all sold (and not always to me!). I don't think it hurts to ask the sellers, but people should ask BEFORE they bid/buy, not just expect that the seller would post because they bought their pick up only item from interstate.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

@ilovemychooks wrote:

I don't think it hurts to ask the sellers, but people should ask BEFORE they bid/buy, not just expect that the seller would post because they bought their pick up only item from interstate.

THIS. Do it all beforehand. Do not arrogantly think you (you meaning in general) can bid and then get all smartypants and leave seller in position of having to cancel bids/end listing. Which happened to us a couple times. There was one point when I simply could not be bothered dealing with bidders like that anymore while we were in the midst of moving, for the sake of peace donated some to charity and others added to the hard rubbish collection on the nature strip!

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

Why would a seller breach ebay listing policy by offering a choice listing in a category that does not allow multi variant listings? Are they a complete moron?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

PICKUP only.

I'm wondering how someone can justify charging $16.80 standard postage, for posting a Matchbox model, when standard postage (without handling costs) would only be $7.20. Are they a complete moron?

As someone who buys a LOT of Matchbox online, from both Australia and overseas, I don't even pay that from an international seller, including handling costs, let alone a reputable Australian seller. Shame, because I don't have that one and would have liked to add that to my collection. There's a sale down the drain.

Cool, I can get a whole heap of parts for a Subaru Legacy for 99c if I win that auction and no-one else bids. It would be worth the drive to pick it all up to get all that for 99c!!! Even the $100 it would cost me for petrol would still make it a great deal!

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply