PO says no more receipts when you lodge satchels

Just got back from the PO and not happy they told be no receipts when you lodge a satchel now due to a change in the computer system.

I usually take a photo of the receipt and send it to the buyer .

They would not scan my my card either. When I pointed out that I have no proof of logement I was told that all I have to do is put the number in the Australia post tracking and it will show it has been posted.

As far as I can see that gives the seller no proof of being posted should a dispute arise with either paypal or ebay unless they accept a screen shot of the tracking instead of a printed lodgement receipt

Is mine the only PO that is doing this or has anyone else had the same problem.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Not sure about satchels, but we have new people at our local post office and they told us yesterday that, if we put stamps on a parcel, the only way to get a tracking number was to buy "signature on delivery".

They said that "they were told in their training" that parcel labels were only for account customers.

We sell to stamp collectors, who can be quite particular about using stamps on their parcels rather than labels, so when we have the odd parcel (rather than large letters) we have always just used stamps and had a tracking label added when we lodge the parcel.

We generally don't want "signature on delivery" as it not only adds to the cost, but many buyers have difficult either getting to their door in time, or getting to the post office during business hours as has been detailed in several threads recently.

Why does it seem to get more difficult every day just to sell a few things on Ebay?

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:
Not sure about satchels, but we have new people at our local post office and they told us yesterday that, if we put stamps on a parcel, the only way to get a tracking number was to buy "signature on delivery".

They said that "they were told in their training" that parcel labels were only for account customers.

That is not true at all - the tracking labels can be applied to any parcel. Most PO's give out boxes of them for free, hence why we now have an influx of them on eBay being sold. 

Not sure about the lodgement receipts, I'll have to wait until I visit my PO this afternoon, but that seems a very strange turn of events - I will be (shall we say) most upset if I am no longer able to receive lodgement receipts. It might be a temporary glitch after a system upgrade (many times the way to do something is altered, and the staff just have to figure it out for themselves, sadly). 

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

We sell to stamp collectors, who can be quite particular about using stamps on their parcels rather than labels, so when we have the odd parcel (rather than large letters) we have always just used stamps and had a tracking label added when we lodge the parcel.

We generally don't want "signature on delivery" as it not only adds to the cost, but many buyers have difficult either getting to their door in time, or getting to the post office during business hours as has been detailed in several threads recently.

Why does it seem to get more difficult every day just to sell a few things on Ebay?

They have been trying this one on for years - in fact, decades with reg'd mail, etc, if you go back and read the philatelic literature; and whenever it's escalated, the higher-ups eventually tell the locals to pull their heads in.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

I hear you! It's as if eBay are trying to get us small sellers to leave. It's just too complicated & not worth it anymore...

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

the staff told me with the new system Australia post has put in they were no longer able to scan Australia Post satchels into the computer but have to use the hand held scanner. If I wanted to buy a signature on delivery I would get a receipt for that
Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Out of interest, was that a main Post Office or an LPO ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

I'm guessing an LPO, and they begrudge the paper, or are just plain lazy.

When a satchel is scanned at the PO, they always use a hand scanner, and a receipt is automatically printed from the computer.

I'd go elsewhere if it was me.

Or........ ask them to print a screen shot of the scan and see what they say.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Suspect the same as stawks - just left the PO and parcels were scanned as normal with lodgement receipt printed.
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Out of interest, was that a main Post Office or an LPO ?
It was a Australia Post Business Centre
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply