Payment sent to wrong paypal account

I received payment for an item but the payment had gone into the incorrect paypal account so I refunded the payment . Is there anyway to send the correct paypal account to the buyer?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@equineartau wrote:

I received payment for an item but the payment had gone into the incorrect paypal account so I refunded the payment . Is there anyway to send the correct paypal account to the buyer?

I gather that you have control over that PayPal account . . . . . otherwise you would not have refunded.

I’m guessing the PayPal account is that of another family member, otherwise how would you have been able to refund.

You would have got the buyer details from the payment, and you could have used the ‘send funds’ function in PayPal of the account the payment went to to send funds to the PayPal account you wanted it to go to.

The only reason I can think of this having been a problem is if you have to worry about the tax implications of having it go into the ‘wrong’ account that you do still have some control over.

Spoiler
or, and this is pure speculation, the PayPal the funds went to is the account of an ex-spouse and the split wasn’t amicable . . . . . . but as I said this is just speculation of what your situation may be.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Cancel the transaction and relist but enter the correct PayPal email addy in the listing.

But that could take some time to go through so perhaps you are better to quickly set up another listing with correct details and then it won't matter if the cancellation on the other takes a day or two.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@equineartau wrote:

I gather that you have control over that PayPal account . . . . . otherwise you would not have refunded.

I’m guessing the PayPal account is that of another family member, otherwise how would you have been able to refund.

You would have got the buyer details from the payment, and you could have used the ‘send funds’ function in PayPal of the account the payment went to to send funds to the PayPal account you wanted it to go to.

The only reason I can think of this having been a problem is if you have to worry about the tax implications of having it go into the ‘wrong’ account that you do still have some control over.

Spoiler
or, and this is pure speculation, the PayPal the funds went to is the account of an ex-spouse and the split wasn’t amicable . . . . . . but as I said this is just speculation of what your situation may be.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

equine, Sir sales' idea is easier. (Don't why I didn't think of it)

Just retrieve the buyers email address from the payment transaction and you can either email the buyer direct with your correct email or do a funds request from your correct PayPal account to the buyer's email.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Not sure why you refunded - if the PP address is to another family member, for example, you could just have transferred the money to your account, especially since it appears you have access to the incorrect account.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I think you need to send a munual invoice from your paypal account to the buyer. You need to get the  buyers email address to do that.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply