Paypal Selling Fees on low priced items and Refunds

Hi, Could anyone clarify the fees charged by Paypal on low priced sales please?

eg. Listing an item at auction, only 1c starting bid. Am just wanting to give items away basically if someone has a use for them. 

Items are pick up only. If the buyer wins at a few cents and pays with Paypal, what are the fees on 1c for example?

Is there a transaction fee for using Paypal regardless of the price of the item?

Also refunds.

Some buyers have been bidding on my local pick up items but not picking up. Typically they don't contact, but some wait roughly two days, (before I can report an unpaid case), pay with Paypal then say they won't pick up.  If the buyer paid 99c with Paypal to avoid an unpaid case and I then have to refund the buyer, does Paypal charge me a transaction fee anyway for the sale, if so, how much?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It's not an automatic defect if they open a case. You only get a defect for unresolved cases that are decided in the buyer's favour so if they open a case and you refund then you won't get a defect. I doubt most would bother opening a case for less than a dollar but you never know.
Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@tangledstitches wrote:
It's not an automatic defect if they open a case. You only get a defect for unresolved cases that are decided in the buyer's favour so if they open a case and you refund then you won't get a defect. I doubt most would bother opening a case for less than a dollar but you never know.

Ok, thanks for that. Good to know. Most wouldn't bother. If a case was opened then it would have to be ruled in the Seller's favour eventually because it has been listed as local pick up only.  I guess much of the time the buyers are just not reading the descriptions or looking up the location before they bid, and paying the 99c for example prevents an unpaid case. It's those who have in mind somehow that you'll post it to them anyway even though it says local pick up. Seems the lower you price something you run the risk of this kind of buyer.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Just another question, if I actually state in my listing "No refunds or cancellations for inability to pick up" which is written in all my listings, does that actually cover me if I don't issue a refund- as it's part of my terms and conditions for the sale? Thanks again 

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@3dropbears wrote:

Thank you.

Perhaps someone will know.

Would that mean if a buyer purchased something for 10c, Paypal will take the 10c from the sale and 20c from my bank for their 30c fee. . 

and then if the buyer is refunded, Paypal will keep the initial 30c transaction fee, and take another 10c from my bank to refund the buyer?

It could get messy if you have a bidder who bids on multiple cheap items and then wants to cancel.

If PayPal has not changed it you will pay only 10c in fees in this case. They won't take anything else. I saw it happening a couple of times to me and I was surprised  even though I cannot recall what I was selling for  less than Paypal fixed fee.

If your goods are good, give it to charity. Much easier to do than list it all on eBay for nothing.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

That's good. Sounds like they can't take the full 30c unless the item sells for at least 30c. You're right, charity is best, have taken a lot of good stuff to charity already. Quick and simple, hassle free. These are the items that aren't good enough for charity though, but someone may still want- better than going to landfill. . They're not worth $$. Gumtree's an option too but people would prob say they'd want them but not show up. eBay ends up not worth it though either once you start getting the no pickup buyers, and you are just putting more risk of getting buyers who attack feedback ratings too just over a cheap item that you've accurately described as what it is...but the mentality of buyers going after cheap items can be more trouble than worth too. I'll look into more of the freecycling type sites, or just put out to council cleanup. Someone might grab them from there.
Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I'm not sure of the legalities but I think they might have a problem proving they didn't pick it up. Ebay might be stupid enough to say you need to prove they received it so you'd have to be careful.
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@tangledstitches wrote:
I'm not sure of the legalities but I think they might have a problem proving they didn't pick it up. Ebay might be stupid enough to say you need to prove they received it so you'd have to be careful.

eBay can't expect tracking as proof because it's listed as Pick up only. I think ultimately eBay would prob just say to cancel and refund giving the reason something wrong with buyer's address.  So that 99c sale will still end up costing 30c every time someone bids, pays with Paypal and doesn't pick up, and you still have the item. I would like to know how legal your terms and condition specified in the listing. Maybe that's another post thread.

This also has me thinking..there's the problem with eBay's system where we mark pick up items as sent, rather than buyer picked up. Paypal also automatically requires tracking as proof it was sent. No note of "buyer picked up item", hence no tracking. The whole system has been designed for posting items, not for pick up.  Hence Paypal not even covering pick up items for Seller protection.

They should have a selection "buyer picked up item" and the date or "buyer didn't pick up item".  There's no way of reporting a non pick up if they paid with Paypal. Even though the buyer has breached the bid contract and the sale not gone ahead because they don't pick up.

If a buyer pays with Paypal and picks up, I always have them sign a receipt "Thanks for your purchase. The buyer acknowledges that they have personally collected the item, and are satisfied with the accuracy of the description. The buyer acknowledges they are fully responsible for the transportation of the item. Any damage occurring during transport is not the seller's responsibility. Buyer confirms the item is sold in "As is" condition, with no returns. Signature of buyer Date", I have this set up in Paypal so I print a packing slip with this on it. At least then, I have proof it was picked up.

In the case of non pickups but paid, them proving they didn't pick it up. .I guess I still have the item listed on eBay, unless it's been disposed of elsewhere, and they can't take a photo of it proving they have it.

Funny if buyers had to show proof they'd picked it up, so the seller wouldn't lodge a "non-pick up" case. All I can see is that eBay hasn't been designed to cater for local pick up, so a whole lot of issues come from this.  Paypal ought not to be compulsory for pick up items. We wouldn't have issues of paid 99c but didn't pick up then.  Buyer pays if and when they pick up. Then no pick up would automatically mean an unpaid case.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

tiagc
Community Member
I just sold an item for $40.00AUD.
EBAY fee $4.68
PayPal fee $1.38.
I stopped selling a lot of stuff on Ebay (member since 2000)
have only been selling antique or collectables on ebay for the last couple of years or so since the advent Buy Swap Sell sites on Facebook or Gumtree as the fees are too much on Ebay!
Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

This has to do with refunds how?

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply