Paypal claim made because postage too expensive

I normally send my sales via click and send, but in this case, the item, although less than 500gm, was too big for the bag, so I could have sent it in a 3kg bag, but felt that this would be quite expensive, as I normally charge $13.  Also the click and send bags may not have offered as much protection as the box I did send it in.  I charged $10 for postage and the parcel actually cost $6.95 to post.  The buyer has now lodged a complaint through Paypal saying that she received an item that was significantly not as described and is claiming $3.05 to be refunded to her (the difference between the cost of postage and what she was charged).  Because of this claim, my Paypal account was blocked, which after 3 phone calls to them, I've now had unblocked. With click and send, everything is done online and my post box is half a block up the road.  In this case, I had to find a suitable box, seal it all up, get to the post office by car, wait in the queue etc.  On top of this the buyer didn't pay straight away and after my second email to her she responded saying she was having trouble with Paypal.  I offered to wait until she'd sorted out her Paypal issues, so long as she kept me up to date.  Long story, I know, but I feel the buyer is being unreasonable and I was hoping someone might have some advice as to how I can deal with this.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Paypal claim made because postage too expensive

After being charged $11 over the cost in packaging and postage I looked into it and PayPal have a section for a claim for overcharge on postage. I do like this because I think it will stop the .99cent dresses from china with $120 postage as its not fair on sellers doing the right thing and getting charged higher fees.
However in this case I do not believe $3 being charged by a seller for wrapping and a handling fee is to much.
I guess this supports the sellers on here that say buyers are complaining about postage and rating them un fairly .
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@belindabargainhunter wrote:
After being charged $11 over the cost in packaging and postage I looked into it and PayPal have a section for a claim for overcharge on postage. I do like this because I think it will stop the .99cent dresses from china with $120 postage as its not fair on sellers doing the right thing and getting charged higher fees.
However in this case I do not believe $3 being charged by a seller for wrapping and a handling fee is to much.
I guess this supports the sellers on here that say buyers are complaining about postage and rating them un fairly .

Yes belinda it does. Frankly I am really saddened by Buyers who hit your stars for postage charges. I charge $11.50 for express postage which actually costs me $14.80. I gift wrap most items  include a small gift & my turnaround is less than 48hrs, less than 24hrs on weekdays. My stars have been dinged for this service. Whatta ya do? lolSmiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

When people want to sell items at a garage-sale or church-fete or market stall, they have to put their items in boxes and bags, load up their car or get someone to give them a lift or pay for a taxi.  Next, they have to find someplace to park.  They next have to cart their items from their car to the market or hall or stall or just out into their own driveway if it's a home garage-sale.  They have to display their items. They have to sit in the sun or dusty hall or crowded market and keep an eye on their goods -- put up with endless tire-kickers, questions, people's sticky hands, insults, etc.  At the end of the day, even if they haven't made a single sale, they have to pack everything up again and head off to where the day began

When people buy something at a market or church/school fete or home garage-sale, those buyers expect the seller to wrap the item and bag or box it.  They don't expect to pay extra for that.  Potential buyers wouldn't entertain a seller whining about having to drive 40 miles to the markets.  That's the seller's look-out.  If they weren't prepared to do the leg-work to gain a few dollars, they should have stayed home and given their items to St. Vinnie's. 

Ebay is an 'online market-place' --- right ?  It's an online version of the school-fete or front-yard garage-sale where people want to sell without the hassle of sitting in the sun all day dealing with tyre-kickers and hagglers or of loading the car and driving through busy traffic and all the other inconvenience

When sellers start looking at sales through the eyes of those from whom they hope to make money, there will be far fewer disputes

All it takes is a bit of basic intelligence.  For example, before even considering listing something for sale, anyone with a bit of intelligence would first work out how they're going to send that item.  They'd try popping it in a bag.  Or they'd scout around for the correct size box.  Then they'd work out -- in their own time -- just how much it would cost to send that item.  Only when they had all the details clear would they list that item for sale. And they'd take the time to inform all prospective buyers -- within the item's description -- of all the ins and outs, including packaging, etc..  Armed with full information, buyers could then decide if they wanted to purchase the item or not, including freight or postage costs

The buyer is entitled to be appraised of ALL outstanding costs within the listing

Imagine going to a market stall where the seller included the cost of his petrol and time in the final price.  Better still, try selling that way at a market or garage-sale or fete.  Try putting extra on top of the marked-price because you've had to drag the stuff from your garage to the front yard.  Sellers would laugh as they walked off

It's dishonest to list an item at a certain price as a means of getting a sale, only to add extras later on account of travel to post-office and wrapping to ensure the item arrives in one piece.  No.  If a seller intends to charge a buyer for his travel and other costs, then those should be included in the start-price, not added later

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

When I list an item, I do it with the intention of making a profit. There is no good reason to list otherwise. I set a price for shipping that will cover all my costs and produce that profit. It is provided in my listings for any buyer to see BEFORE they make a bid. They are free to reject my items based on the total cost to them and purchase elsewhere but that is as far as it goes. To then complain, leaving negative feedback after the fact based on how many stamps are on the envelope is completly out of order.

I will hunt them down and exact my righteous vengeance, ne-ach, ne-ach, ne-arrrh. 

"Padches? We ain't got no padches. We don't need no padches. I don't have to show you any stinking padches".
Message 14 of 14
Latest reply