Paypal dispute?

Hi there,

I'm a new seller and so far have only sold $150 of items. I just checked my paypal and realised there is a dispute already.

It was opened on the day the buyer bought the item / day before I shipped it.

It just says -

------------------------------------------

Reason : Inquiry by PayPal

Temporary Hold

---------------------------------------------

I haven't received any messages from the buyer or anything, so is this just something paypal randomly did?

I went to "RESOLVE CLAIM NOW" and it just says things like "I would like to issue a refund" and "I can provide proof of shipment" etc.  I selected "None of these apply" and then it asks me where the buyer wanted the item shipped, what best describes the transaction (what does that mean?).

I'm a bit confused. What am I suppose to do? The case was opened the day the seller paid for the item lol.. the items should arrive today I think or definitely in 2 days (which will be a week from shipping, which is how long ebay told the seller it should take for him to get the item). Do I just wait until then? I'm afraid I'll lose all my funds now lol Man Frustrated

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Paypal dispute?

Hello oz,

What method of postage did you use to send the item?

If it was a parcel, did you keep the tracking number (or use C&S to process your shipping label), lodge the parcel over the counter of your post office and keep the receipt of proof of lodgement?

If the item was sent as a letter/large letter, did you send the letter via some method that gave you a tracking number such as registered post or express? Then did you keep lodgement receipts etc?

I hope so as if an Item Not Received case is opened against you, PayPal will ask you for a tracking number and proof of lodgement.

It is important that you act quickly, PayPal will have given you a date by which to respond - 10 days from the date which the item was paid for.

At least ring PayPal and point out to them that they opened the case the same day they paid and any other anamolies.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Paypal dispute?

I sent it at the post office and I have a receipt but it was just regular post with no tracking.

The case was opened the same day as payment was made though, so I don't see how it could be for Item Not Received if I didn't even post it until the next day.

I replied to paypal and also messaged the seller to let him know about the dispute and ask whether he has got the package yet or not.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Paypal dispute?

Does your receipt have a post code on it?

Anyway, this may be unneccessary, but if it was me, I would ring PayPal (it's a free 1800 number and they pretty much answer straight away, so not a long wait) and point the facts out to them so that they make specific notes in your file. I'm not even sure if this will help, but it can't hurt, I am pretty sure that you shot yourself in the foot the minute you sent something without tracking.
 PayPal usually require a tracking number and lodgement receipt for proof of postage, however as you can prove that thery opened the case the same day they paid, it would be logical that they hadn't yet received their item, so common sense may prevail.

If it was a parcel, you automatically get tracking for standard post.

If it was a letter/large letter, then you do have to pay extra for the tracking. Lots of sellers will send inexpensive items without tracking knowing they will have no protection, but put away a bit from each sale to cover the odd occasion that this happens so it doesn't hurt too much. On the whole, most buyers are good. It's not too often that you get false claims of item not received. I have had a genuine one though where Australia Post really did lose my parcel (I was the seller) I had the tracking number and proof of lodgement etc, but they lost my parcel somewhere. So remember too, that even though it doesn't happen often, Aust Post do lose parcels and letters as well.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Paypal dispute?

This sounds like a PayPal initiated investigation, not a dispute that the buyer themselves have initiated, and often occurs when PayPal decide the account activity is suspect, or the payment is funded by a debit card, which, while funded by available bank balance rather than credit, is generally processed as an instant payment, so if it then turns out the buyer didn't have enough funds in their account, this happens.

I suspect it's the latter scenario, but can't guarantee it - proof of postage will help either way, but if PayPal do reverse the payment (and it was due to the payment being cleared by PP then bouncing), you may be able to appeal the decision on the grounds that PayPal cleared it erroneously (subsequently telling you it was ok to post), therefore they are (or should be) liable. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Paypal dispute?

This has happened to me once or twice , one time it was my fault and I had send it to wrong address and the lady couldnt contact me via net and that was the only way she could have let me know by calling paypal and open dispute , another t time it was completely by mistake on the customers part , it takes a lot of patience to sell on ebay , if you have sold $150.00 well done then , and the longer you deal on ebay you will learn and grow from your experiences , wish you the best 🙂

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Paypal dispute?

This maybe what happens with newish sellers or sellers who suddenly sell something expensive with no prior history of that type of transaction. If that is the reason Paypal have put a hold on the funds and will only release them if you provide valid, tracking, the buyer leaves feedback acknowledging they have received the item or 21 days have passed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply