Phone call from eBay

I just had a phone call from someone proporting to be from eBay trying to guide me through the site so that I am "best prepared for the peak selling period". They obviously hadn't done their research as christmas is my quitest time of the year. We sell kids party stuff and the budget for my items is small at that time of year. Suits me as I get a break.  My first question to the person who called me was " how do I know you are calling from eBay and are not a scammer". They were unable to answer that question. I'm fairly confident that the call was from eBay but you would have thought that as the bastions of trust and safety eBay would bother to equip their out bound callers with the tools to answer this fairly basic questions.  More double standards.  It's pretty easy to replicate that call if you are a scammer and build in one or two questions to get the less wary to give information away. Getting store phone numbers is not hard and the persons justification for knowing my account was she could see my user ID and listings. Well here's the news so can billions of other people!

What's my point? That a call like this proves further to me that eBay do not give one damn about sellers and are quite happy for them to take inbound calls from persons unable to identify them selves as long as they are making more money. Another spectacular eBay fail.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Phone call from eBay

thanks for the info, will reply if I receive one. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

Dunno about you, but I've never heard of that happening before.  Wish they would call me ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

yeah I'd blow a whistle down the phone!!!!!

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

If they ever rang me I doubt they would ever ring me again! Ha ha! If they ring I will ask the same question too, it is a question I have asked a few different callers as there are so many scam callers out there these days.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

I think it has to be a Scam ? Why on Earth would they call you ?

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

Im pretty confident it was ebay as the person also offered to send me a message with links which I declined now I wish I hadnt

Its typical eBay as its completely thoughtless

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

I had someone from eBay call me about six weeks ago, which was unusual and a first.

They asked why I list 91% of my items with "free" postage but not the other 9%

I told them it was because it was uncompetitive to build the price into the postage on heavy items, which are the 9% I list with the postage added on.

They had to endure about 10 minutes of me telling them that the whole "free" postage thing was a fiasco, so I do not think they will call back.... 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Phone call from eBay

How you can be reading from a script telling people far more competent on the ebay system that yourself how to use ebay just demonstrates how far removed ebay is from it's sellers. Clueless.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply