Pick up only items

Just wondering what is the procedure of when selling a pick up only item, if the buyer pays, but doesn’t contact to arrange pick up. Or contact at all throughout the whole transaction. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Pick up only items

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

eBay now refund all fees for a cancellation.

I wouldn't be giving them a week, even with communication.

I'm not sure why everyone is suggesting to cancel.

They have the $'s,  the purchaser may be in hospital, or just not in a mad rush to pickup.

Personally I would be in touch the same day,  but everyone has different priorities.

Hopefully the buyer can give a negative if the seller cancels with unjustified circumstance.

Whats wrong with waiting,  you have the $'s,  

How long should the OP wait?

Does it matter they have the dollars,   if they don't pickup after their states unclaimed goods period they can legally resell.  

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Pick up only items

Didn’t think to call them. Will try to contact on the phone over the weekend. Thank you. 

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Pick up only items

@sugar249 wrote:

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

How long should the OP wait?

Does it matter they have the dollars,   if they don't pickup after their states unclaimed goods period they can legally resell.  

That's a really good point but I suppose it depends on the size of the item and the seller's circumstances. I am assuming that pick up items might sometimes be larger items.

In that case, a seller might want them cleared out of the way for eg new furniture coming in or whatever. It might just be too annoying to have to store a larger item for up to 3 months.

For smaller items, it might be a strategy.

My main reason for suggesting a cancellation was peace of mind. Years ago when we were selling, we struck a problem with a pick up item, it wasn't identical to this case, we had contact but the buyer was giving us the run around, messaging that he wanted to pick up 'right now' when my sister wasn't even home, then saying we had to post for free. This dragged on for about 3 weeks with us trying to arrange a time & finally my sister opened an unpaid item claim, whereupon the buyer promptly paid, then we heard nothing for a week till he filed a paypal claim for item not received (which he won immediately).

All in all, it was just a hassle, more trouble than it was worth  & looking back, it may have been better to just cancel the sale after a week or two.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Pick up only items

I'm a little confused anyhow,  they say its only being a week so far.

If it is this account they had a sale on the 14th (which was only 3 days) or the 13th of July which is 5 weeks,   maybe there was a little impatience as well.   Either way only a picture or action figure, I could find a spot to store that for them for a couple of months.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Pick up only items

@sugar249 wrote:

I'm a little confused anyhow,  they say its only being a week so far.

If it is this account they had a sale on the 14th (which was only 3 days) or the 13th of July which is 5 weeks,   maybe there was a little impatience as well.   Either way only a picture or action figure, I could find a spot to store that for them for a couple of months.

If it is just an action figure, then I agree, storage shouldn't be a problem.

It's when it gets to bedroom or dining suites and that sort of thing that it would be a major headache. Some of those sorts of things can suffer from dampness if stored in a garage long term, even supposing there is enough room.

If a sale was only 3 days ago, then the seller hasn't given it quite enough time, although it is heading into 'too long' territory. If the buyer had not paid for it or responded to the seller, I'd be suspicious the buyer wasn't going to go ahead with it at all. But maybe having paid, the buyer then considers the job done and he can make contact at his convenience. If so, I consider that a bit rude.

I know one seller who had something like this happen. A person paid for a pick up item. Something heavy, but still postable size. Anyway, didn't pick up or respond to any messages (and several were sent) so the seller left it there (in a warehouse) set aside for a few months. Then one day, wait for this-I think it was a couple of years after the sale, the buyer strolled in and demanded his item.

The seller had a look around and said luckily, he did have another one in stock, which he gave to the buyer. I wouldn't have. I don't know what that makes me, probably a crabby old woman.😁

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply