Pirated or Genuine DVD

Hi,

I need some advise please. I purchased the DVD Once Upon A Time from a seller in the US in August which I now have listed.

However, it's only just now upon closer examination that I'm questioning if this is a genuine copy.

I checked sellers feedback and some neg's say seller is selling fake copies, whilst others give positive feedback about quality etc, hence the reason I purchased it. I've also watched it once and it's good.

I've contacted the seller to question who his supplier is, but haven't received word back as yet.

Should I cancel the listing if this is questionable? I've searched google on how to spot a fake, but can't tell. 

Any advise as to what I should do as bids are etching higher and I don't want to disappoint the next potential buyer nor want the negative feedback.

Many thanks!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Pirated or Genuine DVD

If in doubt then you shouldn't list it. It's your repuatation and if it gets reported as a fake then you will be in strife.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Pirated or Genuine DVD

saarzi
Community Member

Check this link on how to spot a DVD COPY

Best ways are the check the copy protection, CSS, regional codes etc.  That link tells you how.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Pirated or Genuine DVD

It looks genuine to me, based on the back cover. When you flip the discs over do they look like burnt discs or factory pressed originals?

I would say that the bigger risk is that you are selling a Region 1 product. Many eBayers ignore item descriptions and not everyone out there has a multi-region player. I'd say that, if anything, is what would be more likely to cop you a negative (if unfairly so).

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Pirated or Genuine DVD

If you can upload a clear photo of the back of the disc (use macro mode on the camera/phone if possible), someone should be able to tell whether it's original or fake. The easiest way to spot a fake is by checking the matrix numbers on the back of the disc, including any IFPI (SID) marks which may also be stamped onto the disc itself rather than on the media.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Pirated or Genuine DVD

On the cover if there is a scruffy looking bloke with a wooden leg, a parrot on his shoulder and a speech bubble with the

words "avast you landlubbers where's me' buccaneers?" ...then odds on it has been pirated.

(note if there are some tiny looking, foreign fluffy dogs hanging in the background that look like they really shouldn't be

there then that seals it)

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply