Posting 2 items in 1 package, Paypal implications?

Hi, a buyer has bought 2 items and has paid for them separately (including individual postage) but has asked for both items to be posted in the same package. It was my understanding that where items were paid for individually that I had to send them each with their own unique tracking number to be eligible for Paypal protection. Am I still protected if I post 2 items in the one package as per the buyers request? Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Short answer, no.     However you upset the buyer if you don't do what he wants.    Rock and a hard place.  Smiley Happy

Will it be a parcel, or an envelope?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

It will be a parcel ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I'd send them both in a parcel, attach the same tracking number to both items and refund any over payment on postage

people are basicaly honest

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Bobbie, confirm the buyer request in eBay messages so you can refer PayPal to the message, and send with tracking.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

This happens relatively frequently with my items. If ever I'm sending with tracking etc, then I would generally agree with the buyer's request, but as a matter of practicality, I'd refund any excess postage from the lowest value payment, with the notion that if I had to, I would at least be able to qualify for seller protection on the highest value payment.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

You can't add the same tracking number to two items that aren't combined.

OP, I suggest taking photos when you package the items to show both going in the same bag. I guess you could also involve scales (before packed with items displayed, and after). Not sure if it would actually help in a dispute but can't hurt

Put the tracking on the most expensive item.

When you do the refund in paypal, refund with the item that DOESN'T have tracking (the cheapest one), and put a note in the message that this item is in parcel tracking number xxxx.  

I've had to do this many times, no one has tried to claim INR so far.  Most buyers are honest, but def open to scamming.  

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Ditto DG re: cheapes item

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

You can't add the same tracking number to two items that aren't combined.

You can combine items in Click and Send

And  you definitely manually enter the same tracking number for various purchases, I have done it recently - bad idea though because the buyer bought 20 items, and i didn't realise every time I entered a number she would get an automatic email.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

The main issue with being able to prove that you sent items paid for separately in a single package (via combining items and tracking information), is that you then prove to PayPal you don't qualify for seller protection.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply