Pretty sure I'm going to get a defect out of this one...

Buyer buys, and immediately pays for, a pair of pants. AFTER this buyer buys, and does not pay for, a pair of pants. I could open an unpair item dispute, but they will be able to give me feedback on the transaction that HAS gone through. What strikes me as odd is that, this wasn't a matter of buying one item, then changing their mind and buying another. This person has pair for the first item they purchased and not the second. 

I messaged two days ago with no response. I don't think there's any way to win this one...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a defect out of this one...

Maybe they got mixed up and didn't realise they had bought 2?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I'd consider cancelling the second item, rather than opening an Unpaid Item dispute. I understand you're still open to whatever feedback that maybe left, but also the buyer won't be hit with an Unpaid Item Strike, which may put them offside. It's hard when buyers don't respond, as you're not sure where you stand, or even if it is a mistake, what's the best thing to do?

If you cancel the second item sold, and even if the buyer doesn't act or respond to the cancel item, you can close the case 4 days later?, I think it is and receive your selling fees back.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

This kind of thing (multiple purchases but payment for only one) happens to me quite frequently, usually the buyer responds and confirms the extra purchases were an error of some kind and I can get the transactions cancelled quickly enough, but recently one buyer didn't respond. I had the same concern re: opening a UPI on the unpaid item, but at the same time I wasn't going to let that mean I have to pay eBay money for nothing. I won't risk sending a cancellation request, either, not without the buyer being 100% sure what's going on and their confirmation they'll agree, as a couple of times they thought I was trying to cancel the item they paid for and it took me a little while to explain that they had purchased 2, paid for 1, and the unpaid one is what I wanted to cancel.

So, my first message just asked them whether the second purchase was in error etc, then a few days later I sent one further enquiry, explaining that any orders which remain unpaid will automatically go through the process to void the transaction and recover fees, and I would not be able to delay that process unless a cancellation was requested before it commenced. I figure if I explain the situation and give ample opportunity for their input, they can hardly blame me when what I said would happen, happens. 

They didn't respond to that either, so a few days after that, UPI opened and then closed without any reply - no FB for the paid-for item yet, either (purchase was early November).

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If I will get a defect of cause my mistake I understandaccept it and try to become better and avoid defects.

The question is if I took the defect of cause buyers mistake then there is a problem.

I think ebay have pushed seller into the corner and punishes us not only for our mistakes but for buyers mistakes.

I a buyer makes a mistake, I do not speak for payment,  then seller can not avoid the defect ! Anything he do will give him defect !

That's the problem.

IT IS NOT THAT EBAY IS HARD TO SELLERS BUT IN SOME CASES IT IS NOT FAIR!

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply