Printing labels after postage increase

Postage costs are going up yet again from October 1st.  The last time there was an increase, eBay Postage labels took a few days to be updated to the new price. As a result, I paid over the counter for each one, then manually uploaded tracking numbers ( a real pain)  Then, getting fed up after a couple of days, I just printed one at the old price and it went on it's merry way without a glitch.

So, just wondering, if the same thing happens this time, what to do?? Should we just continue to print out labels at the old rate?

Isn't it up to eBay to update this, and why should we have to worry about it?  Would there be any repercussions coming back on sellers who just keep printing labels at the available rate?

Your thoughts on this please.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The recipients might get a trifle upset when the parcel arrives with an Australia Post demand that they pay the underpaid postage, plus penalties.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

The recipients might get a trifle upset when the parcel arrives with an Australia Post demand that they pay the underpaid postage, plus penalties.

I can't see why. There is no postage cost shown on eBay labels, and it is up to eBay what they charge for the service (like the extra 15c they added last year when parcel prices didn't increase). They are the ones who pay AP, so it is their loss if they don't update their prices to us.

Besides, if the parcel has the sender's address, which eBay labels do, the charge would be levied on the sender.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

There is no reason to worry about printing labels out before the price increase happens. Print all your labels on the sunday just incase ebay has chenged the rate on monday. It is no different than using a pre paid satchel that was purchased at the old rate. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I think you are right Dave, my thoughts exactly. I am just wondering if the label printing via eBay isn't directly linked to Australia Post, and it is they who have to increase the costs at their end.(this would seem logical to me, as I can't see eBay setting something up with the identical information as AP, just so sellers can print labels) The reason I am thinking this is because the tracking number is sent or received? by AP the minute a label is printed. Also, if there were any demand on me (as a seller) to pay the difference, then I would be doing that, but also complaining to eBay that prices hadn't been updated.  I find it convenient to print labels, as I can have family members drop the parcels in at the Post Office. If paying over the counter, I would do it myself, so as not to impose too much on my family, who are busy people. Not that they wouldn't do it, but it is a hassle working out how much money to give them, or they pay, keep track, and then I fix them up after.  Also, if sending more than one, have to make sure which tracking number belongs to which, and for someone like me who wears glasses, those long tracking numbers are a pain to upload.

I can't see that sellers should be held accountable for others not doing their jobs, and I'm sure that parcels would still go through, as they just scan the label, so presumably the label would not allow to be printed if it wasn't correct, and if someone did scan it and say it  is the old price, they would have to then go back and see when it was printed.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I can't print labels in advance, because calculated postage is based on the location of the buyer, as well as the label contains the buyer's address, so I have to sell something before I can create a label for it.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

ebay can handle any shortfall for a few days as they are offering us a 10% discount while getting a much higher discount from AP based on the volume they do.

I've no idea what their discount is but you'd have to think around 20% or more.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Australia Post normally give a week or so grace from the implementation date before enforcing new pricing

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Sorry what  meant was to print any labels for sales you had before the price increase on the monday. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for clearing that up,  Of course, this would be logical. Also, as the postage label is printed and gets marked as "posted" in eBay, then it has to go at the old price, regardless of when it is actually taken to the post office.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply