Query re case refund appeal.

I recently sold a poster. Sent the item the same day payment was received, emailed the tracking no. to the buyer and thought all was good. Ten days later, buyer sends an email stating the item hadn't arrived even though the Aus. Post system indicated delivery had been made for that tracking no. I opened up a case with Aus. Post. The buyer opened a case on me with eBay and to my disbelief, eBay refunded the buyer in full, so I lost the poster and my funds because eBay said that was the resolution. Am I missing something??????? I appealed, but to this point, no reply from eBay Customer Centre. This just can't be right or fair for sellers surely?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Look at it from the buyers perspective. The buyer has paid for the item and not received it. Of course they are entitled to a full refund. Lost in transit is the sellers issues to resolve with Aust Post.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

I must be missing something because you said you had tracking that shows it was delivered. Under those circumstances you should not lose an INR case. Get on the phone to EBay and make sure they check the tracking status. They can refund the buyer of course but it should be their nickel in this case not yours.
Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

Look at it from the buyers perspective. The buyer has paid for the item and not received it. Of course they are entitled to a full refund. Lost in transit is the sellers issues to resolve with Aust Post.

With the 'insignificant' rider that in Australia proof of postage is proof of delivery. Therefore, if the seller can prove postage eBay can refund the buyer from their non-taxed revenue.

After all, eBay chose to provide a money back guarantee to onlne shoplifters, most of the terms of which are, politely, not legal.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

If you have a tracking number that shows the item delivered then you are covered.  No argument.

Get on the phone to ebay.   Often these cases are resolved automatically by the system - you need to speak to a real person and get them to review the tracking information.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Thank you very much for your feedback and yes, I definitely have proof of post and the receipt with the parcel tracking no. that Aus. Post allocated. As the seller, I did attempt to sort out with AP, but they insisted they deal with the buyer, so forwarded the email to him - have not heard anything more from AP. Hadn't thought of a phone call to eBay, but will certainly be doing that tomorrow. Cheers.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Surely when the buyer opened the not received claim you provided ebay with the tracking number,  if you didn't then it is hardly ebay's fault if they refunded the buyer.

If you did provide it then why were you wasting your time with AP, their tracking says delivered so what on earth do yoou expect them to do?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

The buyer contacted me first and I went straight to Aus. Post. forwarding any and all emails to the buyer that Aus. Post sent to me. The buyer did not advise he was opening a case, but when he did, I stated very clearly that the buyer had a tracking no. and I also gave that to eBay in my response.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

As another poster advised, it is best to ring them to sort out.  

Even better if the option is there request a callback, so you don't have to wait so long on the phone.

According to their own rules it appears as you should get your $$$ reimbursed, but it might take a few calls to get this result.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Absolutely...

Ebay can refund under their MBG rules, thats their choice and their funds.

But in this case it appears you have 100% seller protection so this refund should not come out of your funds.

Keep on the case until you get a resolution in your favour.

By the way if they still do not find in your favoiur then open a formal complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Present all the evidence in the case. This action will get them to reverse their decision.

https://www.fos.org.au/

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply