Real eBay changes or phishing email?

I recently received an email from eBay stating that all Australian eBay accounts need to be updated so as to accomodate the new way sellers will be getting paid on eBay. I didn't respond and today I got this: 

Your account is now restricted.

Because you missed the deadline to update your account details, you can no longer revise or relist your existing listings, or create new listings. Update your account details now to continue selling.

You have now missed the deadline to update your account details, communicated to you in My eBay and several emails. We've disabled your ability to revise or relist existing listings, or create new listings. We want to get you back to selling as usual, with all the added benefits of the new payments experience. Please update your details today to continue selling. eBay will require all sellers to register for the new payments experience in 2021. 

Get started on updating your account details here.

Is this a real change or just a scam? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

It's real.

There should also be notifications on your eBay account.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

It was the opposite for me.  I didn't get an email but a message popped into my messages on eBay.  I only saw it a few days after it arrived because I was responding to someone else's message.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

myfins
Community Member

so is it real or a scam?  Ebay have not actually responded to the original question.  I have also received the exact same email

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

How did you contact eBay to ask? They do not read the forum, just fellow buyers and sellers, many of whom have indeed responded each time the Managed Payments question is asked 

Managed Payments is real, announced over a year ago

BUT there is now also a scam running that asks for 'government ID' 

Other members have no way of knowing 'which' email (the real thing, really from eBay) or the phishing scam each person is getting

Is the message also in eBay messages?

Is the email from a real eBay email address, or a fake (ie ends in a 2) ?

I would say scammers hoping to take advantage of the real managed payments change

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

ends in 2 doesn't matter. It's still @ebay.com.au which is the important bit. Unless the scammer has hacked eBay.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Usually the best way to be sure that the message is from eBay is to check your messages within eBay.

If it is genuine you will have a duplicate of the email in your messages section. You can then be sure that it has come from them, and just comply with their request. 

If you do nothing you will continue to have issues and eventually a harder problem to solve.

Many sellers have had hiccups with the change over to the new MP system, try to work though them and eventually the sales and $'s do begin to flow. 

Good Luck

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

My request from ebay included a request for my gov. id as well as my drivers lisence no. is this real?

if so I am out of ebay

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

As has been mentioned above

Managed Payments is real (as has been the case for over a year)

If it is in your actual eBay messages it is real

If it was ONLY in an email, other members cannot not see the email any one specific person has gotten but as a rule, if it was ONLY an email that is not ALSO in your eBay messages it is a scam

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply