Reasonable postage time

Buyer pays for item on thursday i post from country nsw to city vic on friday.As buyer sent email asking to be sent as quick as possible. I usually do send as soon as payment recieved thou my listing does state 2 days thats why i like paypal as its instant. Get message on tues asking where item is as its been 5days.Yes i do know i did wrong as i didn't use a tracking number. I have a roll of stamps and the postage for these items is $2.40.I offered standard postage which states on the listing 3 to 8 business days.I have sold 3 of these items and used same method of postage for all. The others arrived ok one went to WA. I have recieved an email everyday asking where item is, getting more demanding. This buyer has excellent feedback for her selling.Which she offers same postage deal. Sometimes i feel is it worth it. I dont charge a shipping handling fee. I charge people what it costs me.This is a hobby which i was enjoying. I have spent most of tonight reading discussion boards. There are some very positive answers to others questions, similar to mine. But i had to vent.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Reasonable postage time

Tell the buyer who is also a seller that they should know that weekends don't count as days so it's been only 3 days

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Reasonable postage time

thanks. My thoughts too.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Reasonable postage time

Also mention to them that you have no control over Australia Post's delivery times.

If they are a seller they would already know that. Seems they are trying it on.

For future reference -

Post via trackable means. Don't give the buyer an option for cheaper postage.

I don't do that, though. Half my items go as large letters with no tracking. But I'm prepared to wear the risk. If you have the margins, charge in your price for at least registered on a letter. And use Click and Send for parcels.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Reasonable postage time

Yes i will be making changes to my listings in future.  By researching these community pages i have learn't things today. The saying goes you learn something new everyday. So thank you to all

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Reasonable postage time

@davewil1964 wrote:

Also mention to them that you have no control over Australia Post's delivery times.

If they are a seller they would already know that. Seems they are trying it on.

For future reference -

Post via trackable means. Don't give the buyer an option for cheaper postage.

I don't do that, though. Half my items go as large letters with no tracking. But I'm prepared to wear the risk. If you have the margins, charge in your price for at least registered on a letter. And use Click and Send for parcels.

Just to expand on Daves comments, the extra tracking cost on postage ( around $3.00 ) can price cheaper items out of the market. Buyers will purchase a cheap item with standard post over tracked item, as it is the seller that carries the risk if the item goes missing. Many sellers get around this by adding a small fee ( I use 0.50 cents ) to every item as self insurance for untracked items in the mail. If it gets lost in the mail, just refund thier money ( after requesting they check with post office & thier partner ) . This keeps mail costs competative and means you are not out of pocket when things go wrong. Other sellers with very high margins on thier products may choose to cover lost mail items from thier profit margin. ( and have this cost of around 1-2 % built into profit margins ) I use tracking ( at my own expense ) on items over $60 in value as it hurts too much to loose this much. Under this price I rely on my 0.50 cent extra postage fee to cover any problems. If a buyer needs a more expensive item urgently, I usually send it express post at no extra cost as a service to customers. It doesnt happen often, but builds great, repeat customer relations.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply