Reducing postage costs to remote or interstate areas

chezzy
Community Member

Hi. Previously we listed an item for Pick up only. Despite making it clear in the description it

was for Pick up only we still got numerous enquiries for posting interstate including some

far distant remote areas. In the end it just got too much and we cancelled the listing.

Am thinking about relisting item and will allow people to enquire about postage. I would

like people to seek a quote from me before bidding BUT I would also like to include

the parcel weight/dimensions in the description so people can make their own

enquiries if they want to. And I would give a range of sample prices for certain destinations

'as a guide'. Am not familiar with calculated postage in the listings and would prefer to

just do it myself.

The box weighs around 2.2kg and measures 39 x 18 x 24cm. Doing a test with the Australia Post

calculator I am getting prices around $22 for Brisbane, $30 for Perth and $42 for Broome. Could

there be any places within Aust that go higher than that (posting from Melb suburbs)? This is

for regular parcel post with signature on delivery.

Can anybody give me some tips on reducing costs so I can make the item more appealing.?

I would be reusing some packaging and not adding a handling fee.

If I posted the item in a large tough bag would it still be cubed?

I am not sure how the click and send flat rate options work but am guessing mine wouldn't qualify for that?

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Would your box fit in a 5kg satchel?

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

@sportandplay wrote:

Would your box fit in a 5kg satchel?

I haven't seen or used a 5kg satchel, are they oversized (ie bigger than the 3kg ones)? hmmm

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

is the box size negotiable?

the B4 box is 43 x 30.5 x 14 cm    - if it fits in this box you can quote $18.40 to anywhere

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

the 5 kg satchel are Dimensions: 510 x 435mm

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Item is double-boxed, I think the B4 would not offer enough protection or allow me to 'suspend' the inner box safely inside even though it may fit.... (B4 is the old BT right?)

I also think the 5kg satchel would be too squeezy

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

i think your box would be too high then?
Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

I don't think it will fit. I just tried a box that we regularly use measuring 43x32x12 and it just fits neatly in the 5kg satchel.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

@sportandplay wrote:

I don't think it will fit. I just tried a box that we regularly use measuring 43x32x12 and it just fits neatly in the 5kg satchel.

I just found a used 5kg satchel that someone must have sent me at some stage but has the ends cut off. It is too squeezy.

If anyone can confirm that the B4 is the 'old' BT am pretty sure I have an old one out in the shed. I will make the effort to

rummage and experiment if that is the case. I might be able to repackage item, it would sure keep things simpler if I can one

one of the flat rate/prepaid options!

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

yes it is the old BT - you can check against the measurements 43 x 30.5 x 4 cm

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply