Request to cancel a purchase

I recently had someone with no previous feedback score buy a book from me. I sent the invoice for payment and after a day received an email stating he/she does "not want to purchase the item due to personal problems" and request I cancel the sale.

I sent an email saying that Ebay rules do not permit me to cancel their purchase and that they had to do that themselves.

In the email I also asked what sort of personal problem could cause the purchase to not be completed. I have not received a reply yet.

I now notice the buyer has (1) feedback score. Given by a seller from US for the purchase of the same book the buyer wants to cancel from me.

Could experienced sellers advise me on what is a best course of action, please, I should take, if any...

Should I do nothing and leave it up to the buyer and/or Ebay to sort it out?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The cancel transaction request can only be initiated by the seller, and once sent, the buyer needs to agree to cancel it before the FVF are credited back (if they don't respond, you can close the request manually after 7 days to receive the credit).

Your choices are basically to send the request, or open an unpaid item dispute.

The cancel transaction request will finalise the transaction as soon as the buyer agrees, and they will be able to leave feedback etc.

The unpaid item dispute can be opened four days after purchase, then closed for a FVF credit (if payment is not made) another four days later (so, at least 8 days in total). The buyer receives a strike on their account, and they shouldn't be able to leave any feedback.

The choice is yours, though.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The cancel transaction request can only be initiated by the seller, and once sent, the buyer needs to agree to cancel it before the FVF are credited back (if they don't respond, you can close the request manually after 7 days to receive the credit).

Is this true... seller needs to request the buyer to cancel when it's the buyer and not the seller who wants to cancel?

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Is this true... seller needs to request the buyer to cancel when it's the buyer and not the seller who wants to cancel?

The seller has to initiate it.  The seller has to send mutual cancellation request and the buyer has to respond to it.

As said above; you have to choose if you want to send the cancellation request or after 4 days open not payment case.  Or if you just leave it and do nothing, but that means you will pay the FVF on the item, and if you re-list and sell the item the buyer can come few weeks later, pay and then expect the item, and can leave you FB for 60 days.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

As said above; you have to choose if you want to send the cancellation request or after 4 days open not payment case.  Or if you just leave it and do nothing, but that means you will pay the FVF on the item, and if you re-list and sell the item the buyer can come few weeks later, pay and then expect the item, and can leave you FB for 60 days.

. . . . . and they can turn around and do it all again to another seller.  If you do the UnPaid Item case and they receive a strike you will be helping all sellers who have bidder blocks in place for non-payers as they can only do this once and avoid the blocks.  If they get two strikes in 12 months the blocks can prevent them from bidding or buying.

It should be an Unpaid Item Dispute, not a Mutual Cancellation.

It is obvious that the buyer is lying, and therefore they deserve the strike.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

It should be an Unpaid Item Dispute, not a Mutual Cancellation.

It is obvious that the buyer is lying, and therefore they deserve the strike.

I'm inclined to agree, the buyer is lying, unless I have more info on the problem. It's puzzling. My book cost $7.95 with postage $6.60. Buyer paid US $6.47 for the same book however postage costs from United States to VIC 3029 Aus would have to negate any savings made.

Possibly it was purchased twice by mistake but inless this is explained to me I don't know.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

So I guess I need to forgive this first time user for stuffing up and for breaking the rules by canceling a purchase to save what she though at the time would have been $4.25

your call

Sounds like the buyer AND seller need to read the site map. Specifically the bits about buying and selling.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Sounds like the buyer AND seller need to read the site map. Specifically the bits about buying and selling.

Yeh, It seems the buyer knew more than me about canceling a purchase...

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply