Responding to messages

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts/ ideas are on replying to messages over the weekend. Do you answer them as you receive them or do you wait until Monday and have the weekend off aswell. Just wondering

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Responding to messages

Here's my perspective as a buyer.

I am often on the internet on a computer at night or else very early in the morning. Sometimes I will go on ebay and have a browse and occasionally fire off a question. I do it there and then, even if it is eg 11pm or 5am, because that's when it is convenient for me to do it.

BUT I don't expect the seller to be hanging on the end of his computer or phone, ready to answer questions.

I would generally expect an answer within a 24-48 hour time frame though. Any longer than that and I am not overly impressed.

I've actually been disconcerted in the past when I have received an answer on the spot. I recall once sending a query (not on ebay but to a photobook company) at about 11.30pm on a Friday night, and receiving an immediate reply. I felt embarrassed that I had disturbed someone but he was fine with it.

Do you have to answer queries on a weekend? No, you don't have to. But do you often go all weekend without accessing the internet at all? I don't know of anyone under 70 who can claim that any more.

My advice would be don't feel you have to answer queries instantly but maybe if you are going online eg on Sunday, then after you've checked out your Facebook and other sites, devote 15 minutes of the time to answer any queries that have come in. That way, you have Saturday free and no one really has to wait much over 24 hours for a reply.

My perspective as a seller>

When we were selling a fair bit each week, we used to check the computer each morning and answer queries then. So once a day. It suited us.

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

Responding to messages

@englishrosegardens wrote:

Some ask questions and say they want something specific but when I do a special listing for them I never hear from them again.  So again, I don't get too fussed about answering straight away.  I often have to get stock out to be able to answer questions and it's hard work when people waste my time.

I have noticed when a potential buyer asks a question, it almost invariably never results in a sale. And like you, sometimes answering the question - despite having oodles of info available in the description - requires considerable effort on my part. Which I have learned is hardly worth making as they don't buy anyway. But I still do my best to answer within a reasonable time frame such as 12-24 hours. And sometimes the question is just plain silly. e.g despite having the type of fabric (cotton) and weight of an item in the listing, I was asked whether the item would be suitable for a tropical climate.

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply