Return goes missing

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone could provide some insight on this situation.

I recently had a buyer return an item due to change of mind. The item was worth nearly $1,000.

The tracking says it was delivered, but I have not received it. I am in contact with Australia Post, but they say they have limited information due to the service the buyer used to send the item back.

The buyer did not purchase a signature on delivery or insurance!

Am I screwed here? I've read that eBay require buyers to get signature on delivery for valuable items. Is that true?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Return goes missing

Certainly for sellers when an item is over $750 then signature is an eBay requirement.
But for returns I'm unsure.
I would think you need to launch an investigation with Australia Post for an item of that value.
But if the tracking shows delivered then my feeling is that eBay are likely to side with the buyer as they typically do.
Without insurance then Australia Post are unlikely to compensate.

Maybe others with greater experience than I might have more information for you.
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

Contact austrlia post and demamnd a delivery address but do it on thier facebook page (I have it on good authority if it is raised on their page it gets priority) . If they still dont help tell them you will call the postal Ombudsman and DO IT!  It was sent with tracking or it wasnt  and if it was then Australia Post HAVE to follow it up ! 

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

I agree about doing it on their FB page, but send it as a nicely worded private message otherwise your FB friends may be able to see what you write as it will come up in their feeds.

I've had great succes when contacting them this way.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

Contacting ebay will need to be a priority as well, especially if the tracking has been uploaded to eBay and the status is saying delivered, because eBay will automatically issue a refund if you don't (3 days after it says delivered).

In this case, you want to make it clear to ebay that the package has not been delivered to you, and that a tracking number is not sufficient proof the buyer sent the package back to you at your return address, plus, due to the value of the package, the requirement for using a signature on delivery service surely must extend to the buyer when returning the purchase. I would be inclined to advise ebay that if evidence showing the package was sent to your delivery address, plus signature on delivery, is not obtained, any refund issued to the buyer will be contested legally.

I might even be inclined to ensure they couldn't access cash funds, TBH. How is the buyer handling the situation? As the sender, technically they need to handle the AP investigation, so are they currently aware of the situation, and / or how are they behaving in general?

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

All the above is good advice.

Just wondered what the tracking status says.
Does it say delivered to your suburb?
Australia Post do misdeliver stuff fairly often.
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

Another thought...
I have a son who works at the Australia Post call centre in Brisbane.
If you would be prepared to pass me the tracking number I will ask him to look it up and advise what you should do.
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

You are too kind, thank you! I'll send you a PM now.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

Yeah, I spoke to eBay for about an hour. They seemed very supportive. They basically said what you said regarding the buyer needing to get a signature considering the items value. They said unless the buyer could provide a signature, no refund would be made to them.

However, I've noticed with eBay that you often get different answers from different people so I'm not overly confident this is really the case.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Return goes missing

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify, I've opened a case with Austalia Post and I've contacted eBay about the issue too. A case was opened with Australia Post and eBay have told me to contact them once the investigation is complete.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply