SCAM? Could I please get some advice?

Hey there. 

I am a new user from Australia and just started selling through ebay. 

I listed a DSLR Camera for $999.99 yesterday (13/03) and it sold within 21 minutes. Although I had not intended to sell internationally for free shipping I will fulfil my seller agreement. 

The first message from the buyer asked for my paypal e-mail and had very poor spelling and punctuation. I stupidly sent through my private e-mail address then I sent the invoice they had requested. They said they were willing to pay immediately. 

After over 12 hours they haven't payed and they have received my invoice and replied "sending payment soon".

Looking over their selling account they have not bought anything in the past 5 years.

I feel like I am being scammed and I want to sell this to someone trustworthy.
Am I going to get charged 10% for sale from ebay even if I don't ship it to that person?

Not very comfortable.

Lukas

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: SCAM? Could I please get some advice?

go-tazz
Community Member

It's a scam,stop all communication with the scammer.

This shows how it works,what you need to do to get your fees back and what blocks you need to put in place:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Nigeria-is-a-scam-Fake-shipping-agent-Contact-Live-Help-/1000000001695207...

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Yes you are being scammed.

You will not get any money.

If a buyer wishes to buy an eBay item, then they go through checkout and pay that way.

If you don't post internationally, set your blocks. You need to block buyers with an address you don't post to, and select the countries/regions you don't post to. Just not setting international postage will not exclude foreign buyers.

They will probably ask you to post it to Africa next.

They now have a live email address and know it is attached to a live Paypal account. I would be ditching that email address and using a new one from now on.

Be vigilant for phishing emails purportedly from Paypal or eBay in the future. Never click on links in emails - always go to the site through your browser.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

"ditching that email address"

Damm that's my main e-mail.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated I will close down the sale and follow the links provided. 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

You don't have to ditch that email address completely just yet, but keep monitoring it for any dodgy messages.

Just make sure you remove this email address from your eBay, PayPal and any other important accounts and replace it with another email address.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Create a new hotmail, yahoo or gmail email address and change yur eBay and PayPal to that, asap. Once you've done that, the only email you should get from eBay is confirming that you have changed your email address.

Just to reinforce what the others have said, DO NOT click on any links in any eBay or PayPal emails under any circumstances, even if the email looks legitimate. If it's a genuine eBay email, it will appear in your My Messages in eBay.

To set international blocks, follow this link http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences The first option, set it to 2 unpaid blocks in 12 months. The second option, the most important at this time, tick to block buyers in locations you don't post to. Block buyers with policy violations, 4 in 6 months. The next 2 are optional. The last one, block buyers who haven't gone through phone verification. Then tick the box to apply to current and future listings and tick the box to stop blocked buyers from contacting you.

Add this buyer (and any future pests you encounter) to your blocked buyer list http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Lastly, if you don't want to post overseas, tick all the boxes on this page. Also tick the box down the bottom to apply to current listings http://cgi5.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ExcludeShippingList

You did the right thing by coming here. You could well have lost your camera and not been paid for it. The buyer may claim that he's paid, and now that he has your email address, send a legitimate looking email to make it seem that way. If that happens, log into your PayPal account by typing the link into a browser and checking that way. I would also be reporting this buyer to eBay first thing tomorrow by ringing them.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

In addition to all the other suggestions I would change my passwords on that email account, ebay, Paypal and any on line bank accounts. It is a good idea to change them periodically anyway. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

HI all

That is strange I got an email said from Paypal telling me they had redesigned everything to make things easier for their customers

They told me if wanted to make things so much easier.   I would have to switch of my security in Paypal

Go through and leave all of it open.  Said it was all safe to go ahead and do.

I did not even bother to answer it.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Never answer. Never.

If you hover your mouse over a link it will show the REAL address, not the scam one.

ie something like a link saying paypal.com might well be imascammer.com.

Unfortunately you fit the profile of the sort of seller scammers target - new, presumably inexperienced seller, expensive item.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Emails like that should be going straight to your junk pile immediately and automatically mine do

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply