Self Service Terminals at Aus Post

I just wanted to share this info here in case some weren't aware and found it helpful.

If you regularly send international letters using a green CN22 customs forms (like I do) and your PO has the self service terminals, you can get proof of lodgment via the terminal.

I was hoping I could do everything that takes the most time at the counter (processing a dozen international letters takes a while), but as it turns out the most you can do is buy stamps at the terminal, get a receipt, then go up to the counter to collect them, but if you have the stamps on the letters, you can scan the barcode at the terminal and enter the destination country. You'll then get a printed lodgement receipt showing each UC number, which could come in very handy in some cases (not as handy as proof of delivery, of course, but it's better than nothing Smiley Very Happy ) I already photograph packages with their customs forms filled out in full, so for situations where proof of shipping is needed, this could well satisfy the requirements.

Same applies to registered domestic letters - the counter terminals can lodge them, and the staff can stamp the little paper slip, but you never got a printed receipt with the number, while you can now via a self-service terminal. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Self Service Terminals at Aus Post

Thasnks Digi - helpful to know.

With international letters using the green CN22, my posy office will supply me (as needed) with a printout from their computer system which I have used to prove the lodgement date with eBay if I ever have a late delivery defect.  eBay has always accepted this printout as proof of lodgement and removed the defects.  I am also finding increased situations where international carriers are scanning the UC number as tracking.  About 80% on my large letters to the USA are showing with tracking of the UC number.  I recenly won an item not received case from a buyer in France as the UC was tracked as delivered!!

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

How did you look that up for France?  Eg. their national carrier's website?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I went to the PO with a letter and a green CN22 form and they said I couldn't use the forms any moreSmiley Sad

Instead they gave me this huge form in triplicate

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Yes the UC number was tracked by Le Poste

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Strange - our post office continues to supply me with green slips for letters.  The international parcel form in triplicate is way too big to use for letters.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

CN22 forms can only be used for certain countries, others require the larger CN23 form to which you refer.

Personally, I always use the CN23 form.  Once I have lodged the item at the AusPost and the clerk has placed all of the stickers on the label then I take a photo of the package.  Havne't needed to yet but I would use this as proof of posting if need be.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@jfmgray wrote:

Strange - our post office continues to supply me with green slips for letters.  The international parcel form in triplicate is way too big to use for letters.

Ditto - I only have to use the other ones if I want to add insurance, which I do very rarely. I heard a couple of months ago that the CN22 forms are being phased out, so I started stocking up on them, but when I asked the staff at my PO if they were, they said nope and all my letters still use the green form.

The triplicate form is huge and heavy, making it almost impossible to send a letter under 50g, which many of mine are, so I hope I don't have to start using them on everything. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

How can this be better for domestic registered post?

I got forced to these machines by the staff which is quite amusing. Good to know AusPost has some new toys. Thanks, great job.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

My local PO has a couple of these as well, and the staff have been trying to "encourage" people to use them. I lodged a couple of eBay satchels through one of these terminals once, at a staff member's insistence and with them actually doing the lodging to "train" me.

Discovered the next day that they hadn't been lodged properly and tracking showed they were yet to be received by AP, so now I flat out refuse to use these terminals if they try to direct me there.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply