Sellers BEWARE Horrible eBay experience

lpyuyu
Community Member
I sold a designer bag a few weeks ago, shipped the product only to realize eBay/PayPal was withholding this large sum of money. Subsequently the buyer changed their mind and opened a request to return using the reason "item Was not as described". She claims the bag isn't authentic and the leather was mouldy. I asked eBay to intervene, provided them proof of authentity and asked for the buyer to send photos to prove her claim of mould. eBay did absolutely NOTHING to help or protect me as the seller. They refused to ask the buyer to send in proof and also refused to authenticate the bag. After sending 15+ emails, repeating myself repeatedly and getting canned replies, eBay simply asked the buyer to send the bag back. This was over 3 weeks ago now. In total eBay is allowing this person to keep the bag for ~1 entire month and still allowing the return. And to top off the cake, eBay just charged me $200 for the seller fees! This has been the absolute worst customer experience. I will be telling everyone I know not to use eBay/PayPal.
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Definitely not a good experience...

IMHO selling high end expensive items on ebay is fraught with danger. So many similar stories to this come up.

My personal rule is only sell on ebay what you can afford to totally lose.

Once a buyer claims that the item is significantly not as described (SNAD) there is very little you can do.

Ebay will notoriously side with the buyer in these things.

It is only you (not ebay) who can ask the buyer for photographic evidence and it is up to them to provide it. They are not compelled to do so. Ebay will probably take very little notice of any pics you do get unfortunately.

From this point there are only a few options for you:

1). Refund the buyer fully and they keep the bag (probably not what you wish to do)

2). Partial refund and they keep the bag, if you can get an agreement from the buyer (probably not what you wish to do either)

3). Accept the return at your expense and once you have the item back then refund the buyer in full including the return postage.

Ebay normally gives the buyer 5-days (I think??) to initiate the return. They will need to provide a return tracking number onto the return case in this time.

The item must be returned from the buyer with tracking. The tracking must show delivered when you receive it back.

If you do not have it back within a couple of weeks then speak with ebay again about it. Check any tracking status first.

Once you have the parcel back then make sure you only open it in the presence of a credible witness. Maybe your postmaster.

The witness should be prepared to sign a statutory declaration if you ask for it.

Have pics with you at the opening so that if its not what you sent it will be clear to the witness.

If the bag has been obviously damaged or some other bag has been returned that is clearly not what you sent then you can take it up with ebay. The ebay rule is that the item must be returned in its original condition.

You also have the option of raising a case with the Federal Police for online fraud, if you suspect that.

You can do this via The ACORN website. Provide the case reference number to ebay and the buyer.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Regarding PayPal holding of funds. This has been a policy for some time now for new sellers or for those who do not sell very often.

They will normally hold for up to 21-days or, in your case, until the dispute is resolved.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

If the bag has been obviously damaged or some other bag has been returned that is clearly not what you sent then you can take it up with ebay. The ebay rule is that the item must be returned in its original condition

the problem with this is, despite this being what eBay state in their own policy, should the returned item not be the item originally sent, (ie buyer has swapped the item and returned a fake or damaged it),  doesn't matter what you tell eBay, their response will something along the lines of .....

"because we don't physically see the original sent item we only have the seller's word blah, blah, blah......"  and again will side with the buyer.

Been there, done that 😡😡😡😡😡

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Also looks like this scamming buyer is buyer more bags too! Only hope the other sellers don't get scammed!

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

@justkidzbiz wrote:

If the bag has been obviously damaged or some other bag has been returned that is clearly not what you sent then you can take it up with ebay. The ebay rule is that the item must be returned in its original condition

the problem with this is, despite this being what eBay state in their own policy, should the returned item not be the item originally sent, (ie buyer has swapped the item and returned a fake or damaged it),  doesn't matter what you tell eBay, their response will something along the lines of .....

"because we don't physically see the original sent item we only have the seller's word blah, blah, blah......"  and again will side with the buyer.

Been there, done that 😡😡😡😡😡

Ebay may not be interested in the fact the buyer is fraud however there is nothing to stop the seller reporting the buyer to the police. If the buyer is doing it to multiple sellers and they all report through ACORN then the police will certainly investigate.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Selling on ebay is like selling stuff on display at a regular store. Every now and then something will get stolen or damged and you will lose on it. Dont put out there what you cant risk the occasional loss on.

Its part of the depersonalized world of trading. The more big box sellers take over the more depersonalized it gets and lower the morals go.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

@lpyuyu wrote:
I sold a designer bag a few weeks ago, shipped the product only to realize eBay/PayPal was withholding this large sum of money. Subsequently the buyer changed their mind and opened a request to return using the reason "item Was not as described". She claims the bag isn't authentic and the leather was mouldy. I asked eBay to intervene, provided them proof of authentity and asked for the buyer to send photos to prove her claim of mould. eBay did absolutely NOTHING to help or protect me as the seller. They refused to ask the buyer to send in proof and also refused to authenticate the bag. After sending 15+ emails, repeating myself repeatedly and getting canned replies, eBay simply asked the buyer to send the bag back. This was over 3 weeks ago now. In total eBay is allowing this person to keep the bag for ~1 entire month and still allowing the return. And to top off the cake, eBay just charged me $200 for the seller fees! This has been the absolute worst customer experience. I will be telling everyone I know not to use eBay/PayPal.

What proof of authenticity did you provide to eBay?  Was it authenticated by a reputable third party.  As copies of purchase receipts are not generally accepted as proof of authencity.

eBay is unable to authenticate goods, it is the seller that needs to be able to prove authenticy.

With these types of goods to have any chance of winning such a dispute you are best to have them certified through an accepted 3rd party service - prior to selling is best, though if you have kept a lot of clear photos of bag hardware, serial numbers etc etc you can still get an authentication done. 

These servcies come with a cost.  This is usually relatively small compared to the cost of the goods.  IMO well worth it in the context of selling luxury bags and the high level of scammers, both sellers and buyers, that operate in this market.

Cray cray to only use email regarding cases like these, particualry when you have only received canned responses.   IMO get on the phone, you can use the call back option AND if customer service rep is not helpful, request to speak to a supervisor to sort this out. At a minimum you should have "a bag" returned to you.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

There are 17.330 PRADA listings on E-Bay and of course they are all authentic Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

@lpyuyu wrote:

Did you take the photos in your listings of the bag ? 

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Yes I find it frustrating that whenever a buyer opens a dispute the money is put on hold. Especially when the buyer is claiming missing item and the tracking number shows its delivered. I get these alot and it effects cashflow. Often you cannot get the buyer to close the dispute and the money is held up for a month, usually because of buyer error. !!

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply