Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller fees!

Hi all,
just a 'heads up' for everyone... My ebay seller fees are paid monthly via Paypal - drawn from my CBA credit card if insufficient paypal funds are available.

I was checking my CBA netbank & noticed that an 'International Fee' of 3% was charged when my seller fees (June) were paid by my credit card. I spoke to the bank and was advised that the reason an International Fee was charged was due to the fact that the payment was processed in OS (Switzerland) by ebay.

I just spoke to ebay help & was told that this is a 'current' problem that is being investigated! First time I've ever been charged an International fee for my AU ebay seller fees drawn on a AU credit card.

Ebay advised me that the fee amount will be credited to my ebay account within the next couple of days.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller fees!

I found the same charge on my NAB account and contacted eBay online help just to confirm that it would be credited back.  However on speaking to someone there - they just keep on saying I need to speak to my bank (where presumably I will get the same information you found out).  Did you phone eBay - because that might get me a bit further - although I am not sure because the people on the phone line are also a little bit limited in the fine points of English language too!!  

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

This is due to eBay taking fees into their offshore bank account (ie Swiss) so as to avoid having to pay tax here in AU.
If this is beginning to occur you should be reporting this activity to the ACCC as they should take an interest in how tax avoidance practices by eBay are affecting AU businesses.
Pretty appealing really.
Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

Assume you mean appalling. That it is. Smiley Mad

image host
Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Yes, let's all campaign to have ebay pay taxes in Australia so we can all add another 30% or more to our fees. The shareholders pay tax on their dividends so I have no problem with companies not paying tax.
Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

It's not to avoid taxes, the switch is the first step in eBay setting up for the in-house payment processing.
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

Has eBay actually advised sellers that they will be processing the payments via an overseas merchant?  I am not sure I am phrasing this correctly - but it is possibly something I might have missed in all the details of their updates.  

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

@sarahs_preloved_booksnbits wrote:

Has eBay actually advised sellers that they will be processing the payments via an overseas merchant? 

Yes, they sent out an email notification about a month or two ago - the email was exclusively about switching where fee payments are sent. 

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

Well...it happened again!!
Another International transaction fee with CBA for payment of ebay seller fees.
According to ebay...the problem has been escalated to higher management...they've had 30 days to fix this...nada!!

This time I was told ebay couldn't credit my account with the fee total as I hadn't paid any FVF's for the month - the amount owing was for ebay shipping labels only. (Which is exactly the same situation as last month which I received a credit for the fee.)

It was done last month - why not this month too!

I'm supposed to get a $10 voucher...which is fine providing I find something to BUY on ebay within the next 30 days...
Ebay CS agrees that payment of your ebay account shouldn't attract any banking fees - but that didn't stop it happening again.

My 2 other ebay seller accounts - which are paid in exactly the same way don't attract the bank international transaction fee.

What a load of crock!!

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
Yes, let's all campaign to have ebay pay taxes in Australia so we can all add another 30% or more to our fees. The shareholders pay tax on their dividends so I have no problem with companies not paying tax.

Ebay is on the NASDAQ and other OS exchanges I presume so there would be very few Australian Ebay shareholders to get that tax back that they are squirrelling away to those scumbag Swiss

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply