Sellers breaking the policies.

jurgensjason
Community Member

When is eBay going to clamp down on sellers misrepresenting where items are being shipped from.

Almost every recent transaction I've had, the item has been shipped from overseas but the listing states that the item is within Australia. I'm over the deception.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@jurgensjason wrote:

When is eBay going to clamp down on sellers misrepresenting where items are being shipped from.

They will get around to doing that on the 12th.

Almost every recent transaction I've had, the item has been shipped from overseas but the listing states that the item is within Australia. I'm over the deception.

In the last dozen years have you considered looking at the sellers feedback so that you can very easily see where they are registered?

Works for me.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

If you go to the feedback page, you will see where the seller is registered. Some of these sellers have partners or warehouses here, but quite often the items have to arrive from overseas. Reading feedback can also give an idea as to whether the items are indeed here or have to arrive from overseas.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I think this is a question:

Although I don't work for eBay, I think the answer is: never.  Simply because the volumes of items sold by people in other countries to Australians makes eBay great money.

In a way, it's like United States Presidents.  They won't act on gun laws because it will upset a huge amount of people who would vote for them otherwise.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe when buyers STOP giving such sellers their business?

Did none of these sellers have negs reflecting they lie about where items are sent from?

That is hard to believe 

Have you reported all these sellers to eBay? 

Or left them negs for lying ?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

It's up to buyers to stop feeding the monster.You will see things being sold for below our postage costs with free postage,that alone should tell people where the item is.

Usually a lot of negatives for selling junk is another clue.

If people were more vigilant,and would rather help the local sellers,then these chinese behemoths wouldn't exist

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Yeah, but.

eBay is an Op shop. Lowest price wins. The ramifications would be above most buyers' heads. Given most buyers demonstrably don't even bother to look at feedback, much less where the seller is registered

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Yeah, but.

eBay is an Op shop. Lowest price wins. The ramifications would be above most buyers' heads. Given most buyers demonstrably don't even bother to look at feedback, much less where the seller is registered

I agree eBay is and OP shop, but to be honest I think the problem lies with Australia Post giving contracts to the overseas base drop shipping companies (that have warehouses here).

You can't blame the average Joe who has no idea the seller is based in china nor handling the product. (based on if they have no idea how to check or check the feedback as most buyers dont... People that do know how and complain, no excuses)

It also destroys the market for xx product because they lower the price so much and spam the listings out and it just wrecks it for the genuine Aussie sellers who are handling the items themselves. It used to be back in the day you can buy something from china for say $10 but the same thing from Australia seller for $22. Now its buy from china $12 buy from "Australia" $15

If Australia Post stopped giving contracts to these companies (which they wont) these listings will go away because the shipping is just still too slow from overseas, and will take years to get back to a 10 day minimum for economy post.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Wow,  great how you have spun this from an Ebay issue to an Australia Post issue,  just shows a total lack of understanding of how business works.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

My Op shop comment was in relation to buyer perception from decades ago rather than current reality.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply