Sellers who refuse to send items to PO Box.

Due to so much mail theft and identity theft, both Australia Post and the Police advise people to get a Post Office Box for safety and security. Then WHY do so many Ebay sellers now say they refuse to deliver to a post office box? 

A few years ago, I had some very important mail stolen from my home address mail box. Why? I had an Australia Post approved mail box, but mail delivery people would always leave mail half out of the (spring loaded) mail flap. When I complained to Aust Post I was told this rediculous reason - 'delivery people will not use 2 hands to put mail in boxes'. To put mail into my box you need one hand to prise open the strong flap (strong so as to stop people putting their hand in) and other hand to put the mail in. But our dear posties will only deliver mail with ONE hand. So they leave mail hanging through the slit. I was told that if I wanted to get my mail securely, to get a Post Office box. So I did.

So now many Ebay sellers will not deliver mail to my post office box 'due to security reasons'. HOW? WHY? When I go to my post office box I have to sign for many items. And as my work sees me away from home for many days at a time, I know my mail is held safely. Many items I buy from Ebay don't need to be signed for - so why can't they go to a safe post office box? What annoys me is that if I do give my home address, and I do need to sign for the item - if I am not home, they leave a card. And I have to drive down to the SAME post office where by box is, and wait in the queue for nearly 20 minutes, just to sign for the parcel. Something I would have to do if it was sent to my PO Box!! My incoming mail is FAR more secure sitting at my post box.

Also, my brother works doing FIFO in very remote sites. These sites do not have physical addresses - all goods go to a box at the nearest local post office. He is finding it increasingly hard to get things sent to him due to this silly seller requirement. Alot of sellers will lose buyers with this rediculous request. I can understand if a buer has nil or low feedback count, but with well established, good reputable buyers, why the problem?Cat Sad

Message 1 of 130
Latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

A lot of sellers are using couriers for delivery (especially of larger items) in an effort to keep shipping costs down and only the services owned by Aus Post can deliver to PO boxes. If you find a seller that does not deliver to your PO box try emailing them and ask about shipping. They may be able to arrange it but it will probably cost more.

Message 2 of 130
Latest reply

Couriers are the problem. Do as I do and don't buy from anyone who is using couriers. I am semi rural so the couriers here won't delivery or couldn't be stooffed (not sure which one) so they drop the item in town at some unknown business where I have to go and pick up. How secure is that?
Message 3 of 130
Latest reply

If U live in a rural area, it is more likely to have no roadside delivery post (like me).

I always ask the seller about the post office box block & explain I live in a rural area & have no street address & they will usually post anyway.

I've tried a different way of addressing a PO box = put the number first & spell out Post Box (like it's a street address) & the letter/parcel has always arrived (but I have a small PO).

It happens with mainly Chinese sellers - I think this block on PO Boxes has something to do with 'crooks use PO boxes' in the movies on the TV drama series.  

They don't seem to realize that our PO boxes are official Aus Post ones & U have to present ID to sign up to use a PO box.

Message 4 of 130
Latest reply

If a PO box address is what's in PayPal then that is what we mail to.

But then again we are only using AP as our carrier.

Message 5 of 130
Latest reply

I prefer  not to deliver via Aus Post as the system is NFG in my opinion.

I lost $1,000 worth of goods recently in one month because of false claims, "unsafe " "safe drops" and theft of registered post.

I have to use Aus Post occasionally but try my hardest to use Couriers as they demand a signature on delivery and do not "safe drop"

Also the couriers are cheaper than Aus Post and even deliver same day occasionally.

Message 6 of 130
Latest reply

@haolove13 wrote:

I prefer  not to deliver via Aus Post as the system is NFG in my opinion.

I lost $1,000 worth of goods recently in one month because of false claims, "unsafe " "safe drops" and theft of registered post.

I have to use Aus Post occasionally but try my hardest to use Couriers as they demand a signature on delivery and do not "safe drop"

Also the couriers are cheaper than Aus Post and even deliver same day occasionally.

Where do you get that couriers "demand" a signature on delivery?  They ask politely or if the person is not home they take the parcel back to base and try again.  Two tries and they tell the addressee to pick it up themelves from the depot.

If your buyer gets things by courier on a regular basis they can authorise a "safe drop".  I have authorities to leave lodged with several couriers as well as Australia Post.

Have you ever thought that your buyers may find it very inconvenient to have to be home for a courier?  I know I avoid sellers who use them as much as possible.

Message 7 of 130
Latest reply

Ok demand may be a heavy word  but the system with couriers works. I have lost too much money with Aus Post due to "unsafe" safe drops .

Over 1,000 dollars of lost goods in one month all here in Adelaide is more than my business could afford.

I am also happy to deliver to work adresses as well if it is inconvenient at home. And Aussie post only try once before returning items to the depot.

As an example I have an item posted on the 19th of November  that is still "in transit"

It is only going to Mallala which is about 40 km from here.

This is how my other items went missing when safe dropped. The Aus post people are very inept at following procedures.

This item was scanned on lodgement, and has not been scanned since then.

I am not aware of any other town spelt like this, it has clear address , postcode and return address,  so I will wait now for the claim for non delivery. And go through the process of fighting a claim for twenty dollars worth of goods.

And why am I cynical?

This guy has left negative feedback for non delivery, has not responded to an email I sent him, and has not left feedback yet.

That is why i do not trust Aus Post, paypal and ebay.

Message 8 of 130
Latest reply

No such thing as a safe drop to a PO Box. It gets carded. Always. And the parcel is kept on the PO's premises awaiting collection. No chance of delivering to the neighbours, having it left on top of the letterbox for anybody to pick up....

Message 9 of 130
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

No chance of delivering to the neighbours, ..

Sadly, that's not quite true. Human error and - in some cases - bad design, can result in mail being delivered to the wrong box.

Usually, when outlets share the same post code, the box numbers all differ (eg PO 1 will have boxes 1-100, PO 2 will have 101-250 etc), however there is a business centre and PO in my area where that doesn't happen, and I (too) frequently receive mail intended for the same box number at the other PO. 

Still, I wouldn't give my PO box up for anything. 

Message 10 of 130
Latest reply