Sellers who refuse to send items to PO Box.

Due to so much mail theft and identity theft, both Australia Post and the Police advise people to get a Post Office Box for safety and security. Then WHY do so many Ebay sellers now say they refuse to deliver to a post office box? 

A few years ago, I had some very important mail stolen from my home address mail box. Why? I had an Australia Post approved mail box, but mail delivery people would always leave mail half out of the (spring loaded) mail flap. When I complained to Aust Post I was told this rediculous reason - 'delivery people will not use 2 hands to put mail in boxes'. To put mail into my box you need one hand to prise open the strong flap (strong so as to stop people putting their hand in) and other hand to put the mail in. But our dear posties will only deliver mail with ONE hand. So they leave mail hanging through the slit. I was told that if I wanted to get my mail securely, to get a Post Office box. So I did.

So now many Ebay sellers will not deliver mail to my post office box 'due to security reasons'. HOW? WHY? When I go to my post office box I have to sign for many items. And as my work sees me away from home for many days at a time, I know my mail is held safely. Many items I buy from Ebay don't need to be signed for - so why can't they go to a safe post office box? What annoys me is that if I do give my home address, and I do need to sign for the item - if I am not home, they leave a card. And I have to drive down to the SAME post office where by box is, and wait in the queue for nearly 20 minutes, just to sign for the parcel. Something I would have to do if it was sent to my PO Box!! My incoming mail is FAR more secure sitting at my post box.

Also, my brother works doing FIFO in very remote sites. These sites do not have physical addresses - all goods go to a box at the nearest local post office. He is finding it increasingly hard to get things sent to him due to this silly seller requirement. Alot of sellers will lose buyers with this rediculous request. I can understand if a buer has nil or low feedback count, but with well established, good reputable buyers, why the problem?Cat Sad

Message 1 of 130
Latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

I'm keeping mine. When I go in to pick up my satchels, it's usually scanned before I get to the counter and handed over when I reach arms length.

Besides I don't have a letterbox.

Message 11 of 130
Latest reply

what courier company do you use?
Message 12 of 130
Latest reply

@peridot55555 wrote:

If U live in a rural area, it is more likely to have no roadside delivery post (like me).

I always ask the seller about the post office box block & explain I live in a rural area & have no street address & they will usually post anyway.

I've tried a different way of addressing a PO box = put the number first & spell out Post Box (like it's a street address) & the letter/parcel has always arrived (but I have a small PO).

It happens with mainly Chinese sellers - I think this block on PO Boxes has something to do with 'crooks use PO boxes' in the movies on the TV drama series.  

They don't seem to realize that our PO boxes are official Aus Post ones & U have to present ID to sign up to use a PO box.

Most bank guides include PO boxes as a flag to a possibly fraudulant transaction especially   fraudulant chargeback. If the delivery address concurs with billing address on the credit card   statement then you have a much better chance of winning a chargeback claim. This is especially   important if you have your own credit card portal rather than using paypals portal.

http://www.stgeorge.com.au/business/payment-solutions/merchant-support/fraud-protection

Check the transaction

Be alert for card not present transactions that involve:

• First purchases, since they may allow fraud offenders to minimise the possibility of identification
  • Large dollar value orders that may be maximising purchases on stolen or falsified credit card accounts
  • Multiple unit orders that maximise resale value and profit potential of the goods being ordered
  • Orders shipped to Post Office boxes that may provide anonymity to fraud offenders
  • Orders shipped "rush" or "overnight" to deliver fraudulently obtained items as soon as possible for quick resale
  • Orders from free email services that don't require a billing relationship or verification that the email account was opened by a legitimate cardholder. These accounts may provide anonymity to fraud offenders.
  • Orders shipped to an international address that may be falsified

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 13 of 130
Latest reply

I have a PO box 10kms up the road in a different postcode.

If you send something to my home address via courier, the courier driver will not even attempt the 25km drive up my road to deliver.

Instead the driver drops the parcel at a post office 50kms from me in a direction I rarely travel (they have to drop the parcel at a PO with the same postcode as my residential address).

From the sellers end, it will look as if the parcel is delivered ... but it is only sitting at a PO that I have no relationship with awaiting the time I can get there during business hours ... hardly secure ...

It would be much safer to send it to my PO box 10kms up the road where the PO staff know me and will keep the parcel until I get into town ... needless to say, I rarely shop with sellers who only use couriers ...

Message 14 of 130
Latest reply

bussosz
Community Member

I have no quarrel with a seller no posting to a PO Box per say what really get up my nose is that it is not until; you get to Paypal the seller advises they don't send to Po Box's.

Why don't they be up front and include that they don't post to PO Box's in the postal information. 

I did write to eBay support and suggested that if a seller did not post to a PO Box it be mandatory to include that in the postal information.  Despite all the rhetoric by eBay to me it will probably never happen

Message 15 of 130
Latest reply

As a Retired Manager with over 20 years of Service within Australia Post, l am well versed on the ".....Do not Deliver To Post Office Boxes."

Let me settle the real matter for once and all.

1. An approved APO Rented Mail Box is an OFFICIAL Mailing Address.
2. Any APO Employee/Counter Staff are your (the PO Box holder) Legal
Agent to sign for and Accept Items as per Your Contract with APO.
3. ANY Sender who refuses to Send to your Post Office Box # is in
Breach of Article Of Delivery Agreements/Codes with The APO.

There are many and varied reasons persons have a Post Office Box,
here are just a few.

Single mum's with children under Families/Communities Care.
People on a AFP or State Police Witness Protection Program.
Police Officers, Detectives/Goal Officers/ Politicians.
Silent Voter's, Persons approved to not be on the Electoral Role.

These are but a few, ....so what does one do on eBay ???

Do what l do, on my Buying id. l enquire first if the said Buyer will ship
to my PO Box, if so no problem. IF NOT, then a little reminder that
"their" Courier still goes to a roadside address, same as a house, so what is the difference. Better for the Sender 100% signature at the PO Front Counter, not like "no one home".

A reminder of my ability to leave fair and just Feedback, usually turns a no, into yes we can, ...from prospective Seller. WORKS FOR ME.
Message 16 of 130
Latest reply

I am happy for you. But if a seller uses a courier your PO Box is not a deleverable address, as a PO will not normally accept a delivery from a courier, whereas your 'roadside' (interesting term that) will. As long as you are at home.

So all you have settled is that a PO Box is a valid address, which most of us already realise, and that a Post Office won't accept deliveries by courier. Okay you didn't mention that bit as it wouldn't have fitted your point, but true nevertheless.

Message 17 of 130
Latest reply

Sorry davewil, BUT YOUR answer is not 100% correct. Let me explain.
I have had Yellow Couriers, Couriers Please, and other couriers Deliver Parcels to my PO Box @ my Local Business Delivery Centre. 5 mins. from my home. The Counter Staff sign for and accept ALL ITEMS addressed to Mr. ****or eBay id. to PO Box 2205 ***Park SA.

Please DON'T TELL me my job, ....I Don't tell you yours. Let's leave it at that. Thank You.
Message 18 of 130
Latest reply

davewil, I NEVER said or made mention to the fact the Couriers will not Deliver to a PO Box number, (you have stated that remark) l was stating the very contrary, that they cannot refuse to Delivery there. Still a very safe method for Seller & Buyer to each prove point of signature, by whom and when. Thank you, and have a good night.
Message 19 of 130
Latest reply

Thank you. And have a look at what carriers AP accept delivery from. Noting that a lot of people (the majority even) don't have a delivery centre 5 minutes down the road.

YOUR experience is not necessarily a typical experience. Especially when you work for AP and, presumably, can get preferential treatment.

Message 20 of 130
Latest reply