Selling limits and Paypal withholding payments question/help?

Hi all

Obviously I'm new, but did used to buy & sell on ebay ages ago...in other words before it became the mess it is now. It's been a while but I have still been floating about and know about all the fun new stuff sellers now deal with - restrictions, Paypal holding funds and of course the lovely gesture of them charging FVF on postage simply due to the few idiots that sold $1 items with like $200 post *sigh*.

So nope, no idea what on earth I am doing wading back into all of this but reality is I'm a wee bit of a shopper/hoarder and medical bills now need to take priority, so have jumped in the muck as a small volume seller who will mostly be culling 4 kids worth of clothing, vintage stuff and as you can see the various new items I've kinda bought (I'm a sucker for sales & buying in bulk) that I'm finally going to cull.

So just listed item number 4 (I forgot how long it takes and how **bleep**py my pics always are, so spend ages describing stuff accurately) and up pops the "You can list two more items this month" message and about applying to increase my selling limit. I assume the two item where I have 3 each are counted individually which is a bummer. 

So despite buying a few things I am yet to have more than 1 feedback, and haven't sold anything yet so of course have no selling FB - do I have ANY chance of getting my limits increased?

I really want to do 2-3 listings which will have multiple items (not heaps, maybe 10 or so to start with) as my dad has given me 6 huge boxes of vintage Patons knitting needles that I wanted to do a few bulk listings for. So not expensive stuff or the usual stuff the old dodgy sellers would list tons of like phones, tv's etc

So is it worth applying to increase them or have I got no hope until I have a selling history?

Secondly I wanted to make sure I remember the process for this, as TBH things are a wee bit tight and post will be a killer if I DO sell anything when I obviously won't be able to access any funds via Paypal for 21 days.

I know there was thread explaining how to have them lift it (and cheers ebay for hiding the boards, I just happened to know they did exist so could find them, genuinely new ebayers would be lost totally) as apparently it actually contravenes some law or something? I just remember reading that technically they were not allowed to wthhold funds at all and there is a process you can use to call them out on it, and they have to release any funds and can't withhold further payments.

That was when they first did it and Paypal was owned by ebay - is it still the case and if so, then when I do actually sell something how do I go about fighting it and ensuring funds are not withheld?

Apologies for the length, I meant to find the thread but totally forgot the 10 items per month thing until it came up today so figured I'd ask all in one go 🙂

TIA for any help 🙂

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Selling limits and Paypal withholding payments question/help?

So far as funds holding is concerned....

We opened a new account and paypal began holding funds.

We called them and ppleaded with them to release the hold based on the fact that we had another long standing selling account.

They still refused so we lodged a formal complaint with the Financial Ombusdman Service (FOS).

Within 48-hours they had released our funds and have never held any since on any new account.

But I think the point in our case was that we already had another established account.

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply