Sick of manually typing in tracking numbers... is there a scanner that can do it for me?

Hi all,

Hope you're going well. 🙂

It's occurred to me how much easier life would be if I had some sort of scanner that could read QR codes and barcodes, so that I can upload tracking with a single beep instead of squinting to type out all the numbers manually each time.

(I'm assuming that's what would happen if you scan a QR code found on Australia Post registered letters and satchels, that it would produce the series of numbers that make up the tracking number? Is this correct? Maybe I'm wrong in which case a scanner would be useless?)

I don't know anything about scanners so was just wondering if anybody else does this already and has recommendations of budget scanners that will work well with the eBay website? I have a Mac laptop but one suitable for both Windows and Mac would be even better.

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Sick of manually typing in tracking numbers... is there a scanner that can do it for me?

Yes, that's correct.

If you have a smart phone, you can download the Australia Post app and scan barcodes in using the phone's camera. That's what I do with mine.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

I use  AP  Mypost Business  and it is all automatically uploaded, discounted rates too.  I presume it is the same with ebay labels.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Tazzie, I think she meant to upload the tracking numbers into eBay when the items are marked as sent. My first thought was scanning the QR code on the receipt, but then remembered, that doesn't upload them into eBay.

OP, as mentioned, you can pay for postage through My Post Business. I haven't used that yet, but plenty here have moved over to using it. Obviously you would need a printer to print the labels out. Apparently if you send so many parcels a week, you can get postage discounts.

There is also the option to use eBay labels. Again, you'd need a printer. Both options will upload the tracking numbers into eBay. Both options the postage is paid for before heading to the PO. OK, that's not technically correct. The cost of the eBay label is added to your monthly invoice. 

Once at the PO, you just hand the parcel over and ask for a lodgement receipt. If you have a My Post account, get your card scanned at the same time. That will enter the parcel into the My Post app and you can track it. Alternatively, you can scan the bar code on the label into the app before heading to the PO.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Pretty sure you can scan either the barcode or QR code when marking items as sent via the ebay app on a smart phone - I remember doing it ages ago, but haven't used my phone to mark as sent for a while - I can double-check when I post my next lot of packages, but that won't be until tomorrow. 

A scanner may also work, but I don't know enough to recommend one. My AP lodgement receipts are now printing with individual QR codes (making them miles long in the process) so it should still be possible after lodgement if the option via the app is still there. 

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Oh yes, I think you're right.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Pretty sure you can scan either the barcode or QR code when marking items as sent via the ebay app on a smart phone...

Yes, the eBay app still has the scanner built in for adding tracking.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

I have a USB handsfree barcode scanner connected to my PC. I don't really use it for parcels as I print through MyPost Business but I don't see why you couldn't. I use it to scan UPCs while listing. Just click in the box you want the number to go then beep.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Pretty sure you can scan either the barcode or QR code when marking items as sent via the ebay app on a smart phone...

Yes, the eBay app still has the scanner built in for adding tracking.

Thanks for checking 🙂  - I re-downloaded the app to look, but hesitated when it got to the "mark as sent" bit as if you select that on PC, it just immediately marks the item as sent. 

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

I’ve tried using the scan code feature on eBay App but it doesn’t work with the aus post qr codes which sucks
Message 10 of 25
Latest reply