Signature on Delivery, Click & Send Flat Rate Satchels. Replies greatly appreciated :)

Hi, this is a question that has been plaguing me for weeks. Everyone I ask, and every search I do, hasn't answered it.

On the back of my eBay 500g and 3kg Flat Rate Satchels (which I have had since early this year), it says:

"Option of obtaining signature on delivery (which provides automatic cover of up to $100 by Australia Post)"

Australia Post used to have the same statement in their online store, but it seems that this statement has been removed completely from their website/store/Terms & Conditions of late.

This 'up to $100 compensation' was available for $1.00 before. I have been operating under the assumption that it was still the case for $2.95 now. I am talking about the satchels, not the option of using your box with $2.95 and $1.50 added on for cover up to $100. Price-wise, Click & Send Flat Rate satchels are great for postage from NSW to WA, for example.

I have been happily sending $80 orders, for example, which take hours to make, thinking that I'm covered on the off chance that something bad happens to the parcel. Relying on PayPal seller protection is not really a consideration here. These are 'wedding' customers. They ultimately still want their personalised invitations, for example. I will have to make & post them again whether PayPal rule in my favour or their favour (in the case of 'Item Not Received').

Can someone who has received a recent shipment of these satchels please check the back and see if the statement above is still listed in the red 'Features' box? There seems to be so much misinformation about this. If anyone has a definitive answer, I would really appreciate your knowledge on this 🙂

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Signature on Delivery, Click & Send Flat Rate Satchels. Replies greatly appreciated :)

Signature on delivery at $2.95 gives cover up to $100 and you can still purchase extra cover for over that as you always could.

I have never had a click & send parcel go missing and I have been using them since not long after they first became available.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

SOD does not give any cover, just a signature you need to pay extra for insurance

total rip off by Australia Post !!

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you--two very different answers 🙂 I'm talking about the eBay satchels, not the Parcel Post ones. I know it costs $4.45 to gain $100 worth of cover on those.

pj, I know you have never had to claim, but I can't rule it out a rude awakening one day for a parcel I have spent hours on putting together. Unfortunately, most of my items aren't just 'pick 'n send'. Do you happen to have any recently received 500g and 3kg satchels there? On the back, does it still say:

"Option of obtaining signature on delivery (which provides automatic cover of up to $100 by Australia Post)"

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

green-gifts-mkd wrote:

Can someone who has received a recent shipment of these satchels please check the back and see if the statement above is still listed in the red 'Features' box?

My click and send satchels I bought recently do have this statement in the Features box.   

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you!

pj, I was wondering, how do you obtain extra cover (i.e. more than $100 cover) on an eBay 500g or 3kg satchel? My post office is just used to scanning these and passing me a receipt. They know very little about Click & Send. What do they actually need to do to add extra cover to a parcel that was processed online before its arrival at the PO?

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

select sod before you print the label, it's an option

you will then get charged $7.15 + $2.95  if you want insurance you need to select that as well, but I never use insurance

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Yes, Fred, I have always purchased SoD, even now that it has ridiculously gone up from $1.00 to $2.95. However, when using the satchel codes for the eBay Flat Rate satchels, there is no tick box available to purchase over $100 worth of cover.

It can be done with 'own packaging', but the price to post is no longer Flat Rate. For example, the difference in using your own plastic satchel or box from postcode 2000 (Sydney) to 6000 (Perth) is astronomical as opposed to using an eBay 3kg Flat Rate satchel.

Can the PO add the extra cover (over $100) at the PO counter? Anyone's experience in doing this would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

hi greens,

keep checking back in, as once cats's PJs logs on, she will have your answers, she's pretty clued up on all this stuff.

I am pretty sure (she will confirm this) that atm, it is in the C&S terms and conditions that you get $100 cover in the standard price, without having to pay the extra.

Also, I recall there is a distinction about what is actually covered - some is loss, some is damage, depending on what you choose, but I can't remember, but I wanted to put that out there for another member who does know, to comment on.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/terms-and-conditions-click-and-send.html

The current C&S T&Cs, and the page you arrive at if you click the link for T&Cs in relation to flat rate C&S products (in other words, there's nothing to indicate flat rate satchels have different T&Cs).

Under definitions:

"Parcel Post" means the Australia Post Parcel Post delivery service as described in the Australia Post Terms and Conditions, and as modified by the express provisions of this agreement including the option of tracking or tracking with signature being available but only in conjunction with the Click and Send Service. Total scan events captured for the tracking or tracking with signature options may vary, particularly in remote locations. Should the tracking with signature option be selected then compensation up to $100 will be reimbursed for any loss or damage to the article. The terms and conditions of the $100 compensation are those terms and conditions applying to the Extra Cover service auspost.com.au/statutorydocuments/generalpostalservices/frame.htm;

Obviously a bit out of date, as tracking is a default feature now, but that's the only mention of signature / compensation.

As this is displayed on the website, AP would be bound to honour those T&Cs, and my latest batch of satchels do have the $100 compo listed as a feature.

There is no option to add extra cover to a flat rate satchel via the C&S website, and AP reps have previously stated it's not available at all, however (from memory) I think PJ has been able to purchase extra cover in a separate transaction at an AP outlet (after processing and printing the labels). I don't know if any post office would do that, though.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply