Slugged by ebay express post policy for ebay plus sellers

Just as I thought I had a good handle on ebay plus options, I get slugged by ebay express post policy, twice in one day.

So the policy on https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/selling-ebay-plus?id=4756 states that:

From 23 August 2021, the express postage contribution will depend on the price of the item:

• For items up to $15, eBay will fund up to $2.50 of the express upgrade cost
  • For items over $15, eBay will fund up to $4 of the express upgrade cost

I had one item worth $11.90 for sale with free postage (letter post). I had put in $8.90 as an express post option to cover me in case someone wanted it in a rush.

That item I sold for $11.90, and instead for my stated $8.90, I received just $2.50 in express postage from seller, leaving me to post it express for $12.50 (in a satchel)! After catering for ebay fees, I essentially paid the buyer (and ebay) to buy the item from me.

A little while later, another item sold and I got $4 for express, which was still lower than my stated $6 but still manageable.

After a chat with ebay rep, I was advised, and have now emailed ebay opt out team to get me out of the ebay plus program, can't afford to keep losing money like that.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just to add to my above post, here is another juicy bit from ebay policy:

eBay Plus members in metro areas will be automatically upgraded to free express delivery on eBay Plus listings. Currently, eBay funds up to $4 of the express postage upgrade on these orders.

Interesting how they are fooling sellers with the wording "funds up to $4 of the express postage", instead of saying that "Sellers will get only up to  $4 when a postage is upgraded to express, and they will pay any additional express postage costs out of pocket. ".

Optionally it can be added on to the above that ebay will fund up to $4, though totally not necessary as to me as a seller, I am concerned with only the fact the item has been paid for in a way that the transaction is profitable to me.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Dont list with free postage, then your items do not qualify for ebay plus and you will not have to worry about the express upgrade.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

eBay considers priority to be express, for the purposes of Plus requirements. i.e. You don't have to upgrade letters to express parcels, just slap a 50c label on them.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I've also had this happen on $13.00 items I send in an envelope.  I told eBay to take me off as I lose out big time. Usually costs me $1.10 to send and $7.50 in a small express envelope.  And they give me a lousy $2.50.  I told them to shove it and that I am not sending any by express and telling my customers why.

I had another three today and sent them normal post

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

As has been advised already in this thread, it is easy to remove yourself from eBay Plus.

Don't offer 30 day returns, or

Don't offer an express option, or

Don't have 1 day or less handling.

Not having any of the above will mean your items no longer qualify for Plus.

No need to bump the thread, nor to talk to CS, who will probably do nothing anyway. It's bot, not human driven. The trick is to not qualify.

Also be prepared for some negs if you have sent items via standard when the buyer is expecting express.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I've been told by ebay that if you don't offer the above your items don't show in searches.  Same if you don't offer tracking now.  They get you anyway you go

I call my customers and tell them why I am not sending express.  I guess the $2.50 comes from eBay...I am refunding it to the buyer and have told eBay I will continue to do that unless they take my cheaper items off

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I don't qualify for Plus and I send half my items untracked.

People still find and buy them.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@heartfeltinspirations2014 wrote:

I've been told by ebay that if you don't offer the above your items don't show in searches.  Same if you don't offer tracking now. 

They would possibly be lower down the searches in "Best Match", but I suspect most buyers would be searching under "newly listed", "price lowest or highest" or "ending soonest"

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@heartfeltinspirations2014 wrote:

I've been told by ebay that if you don't offer the above your items don't show in searches.  Same if you don't offer tracking now.  They get you anyway you go

I call my customers and tell them why I am not sending express.  I guess the $2.50 comes from eBay...I am refunding it to the buyer and have told eBay I will continue to do that unless they take my cheaper items off

If they take your cheaper items off "Plus" it would be the same as doing it yourself through adjusting something in the listing in regards to any effect on rankings and visibility, so why not just do it yourself? All you would have to do is put a 2-day handling time on any you don't want to qualify - no adjustment to postage options or return policies, and likely a slightly more reasonable ETA for the buyer. 

Win / win, IMHO. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply