So....so....quiet.....

Wow, I can't beleive how quiet it is on Ebay at the moment.  Hardly a peep in sales the last few days and it seems to have decreased somewhat over the past couple of months.  Hoping this isn't going to be an ongoing trend for ebay.....

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

So....so....quiet.....

I must say this is the quietest I have ever know it since I started selling over 10 years ago ..... Maybe things will spring back to normal           on 1 September  🙂  🙂    Or am I being the eternal optimist ?

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

they increasd it for me lask year and then dropped it back> I really don't get how they are allowed to do that

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

Yup dead as. I think I might change the location of my items to CHINA ... might get me some sympathy from the search engine. 🙂

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

Yes same here. Hardly any sales this weekend & a very quiet month as well.

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

Lights Out... Ebay says I'm not here! Throttled & strangled!

I've sold only 2 cheap items for the month of August so far. One to USA. (& I only offer 2 different small items for OS postage)

My daughter sells rare books & exclusive figures / collectables & clothing of the Pop Culture genre & has sold nothing for the entire month! 

There's just no incentive to list new items. Even though we both got the bulk freebie offer that ended yesterday. 

Both of us have excellent F/B & stats. I guess flooding homepage & listings with larger stores, multionals & Asian junk means small Aussie sellers of long standing & good repute aren't an Ebay priority anymore. 

My daughter & I use our sales to fund purchases  here on Ebay, so the cycle continues in that if we have no sales, then we just don't buy! This is probably true of a lot of sellers who closed their Ebay stores when they became financially unviable. (IE - Hidden)

Some years back the discussion boards were full of speculation with regards to Ebay wanting to become a mega mall type of operation. New items from corporate entities in preference to the vintage or interesting that first gave them a wide profile in the online market. Well that's just what has happened!

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

If you've sold 1 thing in the last month on ebay then I think you're lucky lol.

I was suspended on ebay for life because of last years very unfair defect system that allowed buyers to run riot

with lies.

Worst of all it also stopped any other family members from selling on ebay also,they have finally forgiven me for

ruining there accounts also. Woman Sad

But I have been trying to sell on another platform for the past 9 months and I haven't sold a thing but have got 100's

of views.Woman Frustrated

When 50% of your income does/did come from online selling it's really hard to get a grip of,and I sympathise with all

sellers that are feeling the pinch at the moment,all the best to you all and may your sales pick up soon.

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

I didn't know all your family got shafted too. That sux a bit.

Spoiler
Like the new name!
Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

Hi Didaway; Sounds like you have some real probs! If your new listings are on the QS Aus site, I can say I've had 4 sales this month & my daughter had 2 book sales. No promotions, found via site or Goog. Books are hardest to sell. Just ask any bookseller!

Neither of us spend much time listing there, with about 300 apiece. Mine mostly glassware & hers books. We used to make a decent supplementary income there until format changes in April 2013 made the site too difficult to navigate easily. I wish they'd go back to the old format. Then we'd be rolling in clover!  I was looking to that site for my retirement income & had a good client base which slowly curtailed. At least it dropped off slowly; Not like the "lights off we don't want you" on Ebay.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

I went to a garage sale one day and the guy was an ex newsagent and he bundled a lot of items for me as I was late going to it

and he just wanted rid of the boxes as he was moving house,(so I took out what I wanted and started selling the rest on here).

He had some "interesting" items underneath the DVD's in some of those boxes,(there was also some good stuff such as brand

new pens,pencils,etc)

My main category had less than 200 listings on a regular basis when I first started and listings were steady and similarly priced.

It's now over 500 listings and prices are that low by some sellers that they should just donate them to charity,(as they are losing

money on them).

So I do bulk listings that seem to sell two or three per month and it means I only have to put up 3 listings instead of around 25,(

much easier and less effort needed).

Now when ever the free listing come on sales seem to nosedive,(what was the last lot?,500 free listings?).

Multiply that by 1000 sellers and you have half a million extra listings.

You then have the voucher system where buyers hold back on buying stuff until they receive a discount voucher from eBay,(so

they may wait weeks to buy items).

Add the throttling and I'm glad I don't have to earn money from here to survive.

I'm like a number of sellers and buy stuff on this site with the money I make from selling on it,(no sales means no buying).

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

So....so....quiet.....

This month so far I have  sold 254 items on eBay.

Today has been quiet, no sales at all as at 4.30pm and last Saturday week I did not make one sale all day, which is unusual.

Is this a throttling conspiracy? Not for me, I don't believe, just the normal ebb and flow of business that most shops experience. Yesterday was a good day, today, no one buying.

However, overall, August has not been too bad, although it has tailed off in the last week or so.

This is normal, the last week of August and the first couple of weeks of September are usually the worst time of the year for my eBay selling.

A good time to take a break.

The Royal shows are on in most capital cities, this takes a large amount of discrentionary spending money out of people's pockets.

Also, the weather is better and people get out more after a cold winter and don't sepnd as much time indoors.

I have been doing this nearly 20 years now and can set my watch by it.

Because I know this time of the year is dead for my type of retail, it is not a worry.

Middle of January until end of February and end August until mid September are just dead for my type of eBay store, probably for a lot of others as well.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply