Still no 2010s category option when selling coins/notes

I know eBay is only run by trained monkeys, but has eBay seriously not noticed that after nine years? Will there even be a 2020s option when the new coins and notes come out next year? Or does eBay still think it's 2003? You cannot create an item specific that is the same name as an existing one (Era) to get around the bug, yet you cannot delete the "Era" item specific either, which means a buyer is free to open a NAD dispute (wrong decade) which will of course go towards the buyer because the seller didn't put 2010s in there; the only valid option is a dash listed above pre-1700s. Good thing it isn't marked with a red asterisk forcing people to use it.

Seller beware if trying to sell the 2018 $50 notes with the typo or any other rare notes or coins made after 2009 (such as the 2018 10c piece, which with only 300,000 or so made could end up nearly as famous as the 1930 penny in the coming decades; the 2011 10c piece (1.7 million made) is also a rare find in the wild, both of which are only a fraction of the 8.3 million 1972 5c coins that were made, which is apparently the holy grail of circulated Australian decimal coins).

Going by the fact that Australia Post Regular Parcel + Tracking still shows up in the postage options despite not being available for nearly a decade (when was the last time AP offered parcel post where tracking was an optional extra?), I don't think anything will change unless a miracle happens and an eBay employee with half a brain reads this topic. Microsoft, interested in a hostile takeover?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

As i am sure you are aware, this forum is only visisted by buyers/sellers like yourself.  No body here is able to help you.  Have you addressed your concerns to Ebay itself?  What ever we all may think, nobody here is able to help you.  Maybe get onto the Help line and have ebay call you back.  Most responders here are aware of the problems associated with most categories but are not able to help you.  Regardsless what they say in the blurb, ebay do not read here.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Already know that, just wanted to vent on how ridiculous eBay has become (and is still becoming) over the years. Changing the interface and selling rules/restrictions/options all the time for better or worse (mostly for worse) is fashionable but fixing things that have been wrong for years costs money thus is beyond the scope of keeping the site running. Reminds me of Australian politics in fact, insert new LibLab leader here, do nothing, ???, profit!
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@heihachi_73,

It is indeed just another example of some poor drop-down selections within the listing design. eBay's catalogues are yet another (and probably worse) example of less than optimal specifications for the seller to use when listing.

I just tested listing a coin using "Create your listing". (I have to test these things because, as a buyer, I haven't the listing experience!)  Not to my surprise, the drop-down choices for "Era" do indeed show:

Pre - 1700s

1800s

1900s

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

These choices are internally inconsistent. Clearly 1700s is being used to refer to 1700โ€“1799 (almost, but not quite, the same meaning as the 18th century โ€“ i.e., from 1st January 1701 through to 31st December 1800). Similarly, 1800s is being used to refer to 1800โ€“1899.

However, 1900s is not being used with that definition. Rather, it's referring to a decade (1900-1909). That's a perfectly legitimate use of 1900s, but it is confusing in context because 1900s has the two possible meanings (i.e., 1900โ€“1999, or 1900-1909 aka the 1900s decade).

We can only be sure that this is how eBay is using 1900s because they then offer further decadal periods โ€“ 1910s, 1920s, etc.

With 2000s being the final offering, we have two possible interpretations:

1. with 2000s, eBay is referring to 2000-2099 (going back to the first (centuriate) definition, which is certainly not consistent with the decadal usage in the drop-down list from 1900s onwards), or
  2. with 2000s, eBay is referring to 2000-2009 (consistent in this context) but no one has bothered to add the next decade (2010s) โ€“ i.e., incompetence or laziness.

There isn't much that you can do, but you can try contacting eBay using the Unsolicited idea submissions policy (which is depressing reading, since in essence it means that when you or I or eBay members in general talk, eBay is actually saying "Blah blah blah blah - Thank you for your idea (thanks for nothing - we don't care what you say) - blah blah - oh, yes, thank you, we're always happy to hear from you - blah blah - ha ha, not listening..." lalala.gif). Choose Categories and item specifics as the topic, and say what you'd like to say.

Alternatively, when listing, you can just leave Era blank, and create your own "Custom item specific"; you could call it "Coin Era', and enter the correct era.

Best of luck!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

You could try the "Send us your feedback" link in the top right hand corner. Probably wont help, but it wont hurt. I tried to use it to complain about the era problem too, thinking that multiple voices might get heard, but the link is not working for me today.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply