The buyer is being unreasonable with the quality of the garment

Hi guys I need an advice
I have recently sold a designer garment to a girl. The original price of the item was $550 and was purchased less than a year ago. I have listed the item for $200, however negotiated with a buyer to sell for $170 and I also included free postage. I have listed that the item is not brand new, it has been worn but it is dry cleaned with absolutely no marks or rips.
Now the buyer is sending request for $25 refund because the seams on the item are a little loose. She attached the photos which I had to zoom in quite hard to even see anything. There are no rips what so ever.
The item is made of silk and the area where the seams got a little stretched is on the bum area where there can be friction due to walking or sitting down, whatever the case was.
She has escalated now to requesting a full refund as she claims it was damaged
I spoke to EBay support and even the operator agreed that this is a just plain knit picking

Please help has anyone had something similar?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've had 3 cases over the past 10 months similar to this...

1 & 2. The buyers claimed the garments had "a loose thread" and they demanded a full refund. One was aggressive from the start, the other one started off nicely but when I politely suggested that I did not consider that one loose thread was grounds for a full refund, she exploded and became abusive.

In both cases, I let the buyer escalate the case to ebay, who immediately closed the cases stating the buyer would receive a refund, but not from me and my ebay account would not be affected. Yay.

3. The most recent case was about a very abusive and rather strange buyer who claimed a neutral, nice pair of shoes were "clown shoes" and ridiculous, damaged and bleached, etc and wanted a full refund. I again politely said I did not agree with any of this.

She grew more and more irate and abusive when I would not accommodate her, calling me rude names, saying I was stupid, threatening to leave bad feedback, and I said I would no longer communicate with her as she appeared to be irrational, and I would let ebay handle it.

When I saw she had actually left negative feedback for me (my first), I immediately went onto ebay live chat, explained the situation and they apologised profusely as they could see all her abusive messages, escalating to now using bad language even though I had stopped responding a while back. They said they would close the dispute in my favour in 3 days when the required time had elapsed, and would also remove her negative feedback.

Sure enough, the case was closed, she got no refund, and the negative feedback was removed. I bet she was livid. I wouldn't know though, as I blocked her.

So...have faith that sometimes ebay DO side with the seller!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Don't refund until you have the item back.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

It's called wardrobing. Someone buys an outfit, they wear it, have no further use for it, so claim there is damage to get a refund. Sadly, it's a common thing with women's clothing and there's not a lot you can do about it. The buyer will win the dispute, because they always do. All you can really do is ask for it to be returned and then refund. If you don't, you risk them really damaging it, where you will still lose a dispute. It's sucks, but it's a reality of selling clothing.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks guys I have given eBay multiple calls and I had 3 support team members putting notes that this claim is beyond ridiculous
With photos she sent there are no rips visible so I think I will escalate this with the eBay team and let them review this
I wonโ€™t let this person bully me and hoekfully this will be a lesson to her
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Not to mention she down low called me fat thatโ€™s why the seams have moved on the garment
No reason to get persona there
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

May I strongly suggest that you do NOT escalate this with eBay. 99.9% of the time when the seller escalates, the dispute immediately closes in favour of the buyer. If that happens, you lose the money and the garment because eBay will refund without the buyer having to return the item. You would be far better insisting the buyer return it for a refund. At least that way you have it back and you can resell it (ensuring you take a stack of photos of every square inch in case this happens again).

Trust me. I've lost track of how many times we've seen this happen here. Seller escalates, buyer gets immediate refund without having to return. Lose lose for the seller.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Oh no, I wonโ€™t escalate myself I have offered a partial refund because she wants to fix it somehow, thatโ€™s her deal not sure what is there to fix
But I think she will escalate and she already done a formal request for refund
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

So it does not matter what notes and formal letters the support staff have put against the case?
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Rarely it might make a difference, but usually not. At the very outside, eBay might refund out of their pocket, so you don't lose the money, but it still gives the buyer a refund and the item. It does happen, but me personally, I'd not risk it. It's your call if you think that may happen with your case. Ebay don't really like parting with their own money!

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

If you use facebook, search for her there and see if there are photos of her wearing the dress at a function of some sort. A lot have been caught out this way when they say the dress arrive damaged, yet the pictures show them wearing it.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply