The cheek of it!

A week or so ago a buyer (quite new) purchased a small BIN item. 

A few minutes later - oh sorry mate, can I cancel this?  We did, but let him know we were under no obligation to do so. 

He was then added to our "special" list.

We re-listed the item (he actually confirmated the cancellation with Ebay - that's a first for us!).

Yesterday we received a message, on that same item - is this still available or has it sold?

You guessed it - the exact same buyer.  We've ignored the message - what would others do?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The cheek of it!

Depending on the circumstances and how the history of the account looked would determine my course of action.

If there was any hint of a noob or trouble maker, I would probably block.

But you sell collectables so could just be a dithering nerdy type that turns out to become one of your regular buyers.

Your probably the best at reading between the lines on potential stamp collectors.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

Chance of me responding to them would be 0%

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:

(he actually confirmated the cancellation with Ebay - that's a first for us!

Confirmated?  Where did that come from - I meant confirmed!

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

But he's inquirated about it subsequently? g_chortle.gif

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

i'm with kopes on this one.

You've got a dithery buyer here who cancelled out but it has been preying on his mind.

He probably lies in his bed every night since then, thinking-I should have bought that stamp, I think i do want it after all.

It's probably taken a bit of courage to contact you again because he would know he looked a bit silly.

You have already told him the first time that you were doing him a favour with a cancellation & were under no obligation. So that part is good, he knows that.

I'd tell him it is still for sale & he is welcome to buy it, however  to be aware that on this occasion you won't be offering cancellation for change of mind.

And if he buys & doesn't pay-carry through with a non payment dispute.

But I think he will pay. I think he must really want it to approach you again, cap in hand.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

and maybe change that particular listing to "immediate payment" required?

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

I'd say they probably haven't got a clue it's the same one they bought previously. If they'd lost any sleep over it they'd be apologising or explaining. If they were embarrassed about it or felt guilty they'd be unlikely to contact the seller again. If they've asked is it still available as though nothing has happened, they're either hopeless or a time-waster, and either way I'd ignore them. If they started another ID to buy I'd report them for malicious buying.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

The wording of their messages didn't sound very "nerdish" and there was an apology but no explanation for their cancellation.

We've decided to ignore them - we've had a few problem buyers (and silly time-wasting questions from non-buyers) lately, and the other half is getting very exasperated and short-tempered with all of them. 

Best to keep him happy - there are always more buyers out there but only one of him 🙂

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

The cheek of it!

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:[...]  the other half is getting very exasperated and short-tempered with all of them. 

Best to keep him happy - there are always more buyers out there but only one of him 🙂

That's one of the loveliest comments on these boards.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply